husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Our low hour 2005 YZ85 produces a rattling noise on the clutch side while in neutral. When the clutch is pulled in the noise disappears. Any ideas?

Thanks

david01

Mar 6, 2006
same noise

my sons yz85 06 has the same noise i know what your talking about my prob is iam in iraq i bought the bike for him while i was here i bought a bunch of go fast parts i installed a hinson clutch kit basket,clutches,hub,and pressure plate i came home on leave and started installing these parts without listening to the bike frist never heard run anyway after i was done i started the bike and noticed that noise only when the clutch is releasd when you pull in the clutch it goes away that realy bothered me but i let him ride then i drained the oil it looked good no metel in the oil thats a good sign but it still worries me i had to come back to iraq and he is still rideing it my wife keeps changeing the oil after every ride bless her sole if you find out anything please let me know thank you.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
My 2002 YZ85 has a funky noise while at idle with the clutch out in neutral. I have had the engine apart for a crank replacement and the noise is still there. While apart I measured every part and compared to the specs. The noise goes away with a ever so slight raise in RPM's :think: :think: So for now I'm not worried..
Just my exp.
Crazy4nitro

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Thanks for the replies!

I'll be checking it this weeked to see what I can see.
The noise just started so something must be worn or loose. The bike is not raced just trail/desert ridden and has fairly low hours. I would be suprised if it is a worn clutch basket or pressure plate but it could be. If it is the clutch basket that would explain why Yamaha sells a GYT basket in their accessory catalog. I'll report my findings.

david01

Mar 6, 2006
to replace the clutch basket with the billet one at least for hinson who makes gytbasket oyu have to drill out the factory rivets a pain in the butt to reuse the gear drive behind the basket there are rubber cushins that you have to reuse mine were in good shape but i was told this could be the noise and i dont know if you can get these parts from yamaha or if anyone has them if you find out please let me know thank you

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
david01 said:
to replace the clutch basket with the billet one at least for hinson who makes gytbasket oyu have to drill out the factory rivets a pain in the butt to reuse the gear drive behind the basket there are rubber cushins that you have to reuse mine were in good shape but i was told this could be the noise and i dont know if you can get these parts from yamaha or if anyone has them if you find out please let me know thank you

Thanks for the info! We will be going out to the desert this weekend so we will see if my son can break it before I get around to repairing it :laugh: . I will post my findings but it may be a few weeks.

Top Bottom