Del_YZ125

Apr 2, 2006
Well i just picked up a YZ125 , this is the first dirt bike that ive owned in about 8 years. WHen i brought the bike home it was smoking pretty bad, but seemed to run fine, maybe a small miss every now and again. So i looked at the book to get the oil fuel ratio, drained all the fuel, replaced with fresh fuel and yamalude racing series oil, at a 24:1 ratio, and i also added a fresh plug. Fired it up and its still smoking pretty heavily. Can this be caused my too much oil or not enough?
Also there is some sort of oil dripping down from around the air box area down on the swingarm, could i just need a new filter?

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
24:1 is way to rich IMO. Try 32:1 - 40:1 with a good synthetic two stroke oil. Clean your air filter and reoil it as well. New plug, and see what you have. What year bike is it. may need a rebuild and new seals? Is the oil dripping out of the air box or where the pipe meets the silencer. I'm guessing at 24:1 it spooging out of your connection and going all over?

I run 32:1 and it smokes pretty good on start ups and idle, but once it clears out it's fine. I use to always run 40:1 on other bikes with great results.

titoislaidlow

May 30, 2005
Depends on your definition of "smoking pretty badly". Most 2 strokes, mine included, give off good spurts of exhaust. As the bike warms up it tends to go away. Like Skiboy said, 32:1 is the magic number.

Del_YZ125

Apr 2, 2006
Well i know that they are gonna smoke some, but on mine, i can accelerate for about 100 feet and look back and see a smoke cloud

AXE_1967

Mar 31, 2006
If your mixing 24:1 there's no dought that there is going to be a cloud. It's a wounder your plug didn't foul out. BelRay at 40:1 is a good number.

Top Bottom