Jack45

Sep 14, 2006
I have a 00 YZ 250 and the rear axle nut keeps backing off! Does anyone know why this happens and if so how do you fix it? How tight is it suppose to be?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have the same bike and haven't ever had this problem. You could put it on with a torque wrench to assure you have it as tight as it should be. Your nut might also be worn out causing it to come loose. Another thing is that the axle threads might be worn out. That is all I can think of. I don't think you should use any thread locker because that is a bolt that needs to be frequently adjusted.

Mike

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
put in a cotter key and locktight it!!!!!
i wouldnt wan't it to cmoe off wide open!!!!!!!!!!,just because i didnt use a cotter pin or locktight
adjust it as needed--/buy a good chain and you won't need to adjust it all the time

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
The rear axle nut for a 250 should be tighted down to about 80 ft-lbs. I would check the threads on the nut and axel to ensure they are nut stripped and are still threading properly.

Jack45

Sep 14, 2006
Thanks guys! #1 it doesn't have a place for a cotter key and if I torque to 80lbs it wil lock the rear tire up? I am lost

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
ok, you have a self locking nut on that bike. they are actually meant to be replaced after a few uses. they are kinda line a nylon lock nut but they use metal around the outside edge to do the job of the nylon. sounds like yours is just wore out. you could just put some locktight on it and make sure its tight (i HIGHLY doubt its 80 ft/lbs) call the dealership and find out the CORRECT torque and use some BLUE LOCKTIGHT on it.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
ya i had this prob, but i knoticed it when the nut was gone and my axle was sticking out like 3 inches, as i was about to hit a jump..woo...lucky....but i just bought a new nut and its all better, and doesn't come loose..

Top Bottom