Status
Not open for further replies.

polarisman

Jun 9, 2002
Anyone having any problems with this bike yet? I've had three different ones blow up a total of four times. I don't know how much of them was rider or machine at fault.

Tim250F

Nov 22, 2000
I have a 2001 model and it has been absolutely flawless since the day I got it. I ride mostly MX and some trail riding and the bike has been great! It would seem that the rider may have a little to do with it since it has happened to you so often. What level rider are you? Do you change oil often? Keep your air filter clean? There could be a number of different reasons.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
When one describes a motor as having blown up, is that something specific or just a general way to say it ain't gonna run without some significant repair?

polarisman

Jun 9, 2002
I am asking because I am a Yamaha service manager and in the last two months, I've had three different machines blow up.
The first one was a piston. The second was a piston and cylinder. The third was a crank and bearings. The fourth was an exhaust cam and head. The first one and fourth one are the same bike.
I didn't mean to mis-lead anyone into thinking these were my own personal bikes. Our dealership does sponser a national team and the bike that I described as the first and fourth was a bike from our race team. The other two bikes are locally owned trail bikes, not really raced.
I can understand the race team bike going out twice while out on the road with the team but the other two were starting to make me wonder how much of it was the rider or how much of it was the bike.
I really believe alot of these problems are rider or lack of maintance type problems.
My professional opinion, DO NOT do away with the dry sump engine. The weight it saves you is not worth the hassle of changing your oil after every moto or worse yet, forgetting about it and blowing up the motor.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is a thread in this forum where people list their serial numbers and issues with the bike. It's a long thread with the info you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom