gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I'm thinking about lowering my son's '96 about 4" and was wondering what the best way would be. I have the nut on the shock spring backed all the way off and the forks slid up about 1.5" but I still need to be about 2" lower. He doesn't MX the bike but rides trails and farm fields with it.

I see references to using a spacer inside the shock to limit the rebound travel and I assume this is prefered over lengthening the linkage connecting rod.

What is involved with doing the forks? Is that a matter of adding spacers somewhere or shortening the springs or proload spacers? I'm not familiar with the workings of these forks so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I've searched all over the forums also and can't find much. Everyone seems to talk like it's no big deal but no one seems to have any specifics.

You ask some relevant questions on one of the other threads which I wish someone would answer. I too wonder how putting a spacer in the shock will make any difference in the ride height when the bike needs to have some static sag to start with. The spacer would just keep the rear wheel from fully rebounding when in the air. It seems to me that a shorter spring combined with the spacer might be a way to go. The problem there is getting the correct spring in length and rate. I don't see how you can just cut the spring without rewinding the end and grinding it flat again. Cutting it will also increase the rate.

I've been thinking about extending the connecting rod on the linkage. I think about a half inch longer will lower the rear 1.5". The big issue I see with this is that the shock will not bottom before the tire hits the fender. A longer jounce bumper could maybe be added to the shock to fix that. I suppose the linkage ratios would also be a little off but I don't know that it would be a problem. Seems to me that I'd have to screw a lot of stuff up before it'd be as bad as an XR suspension.

The forks; that's a whole other issue.

Top Bottom