what i want to know is
1.is this a good bike
2.was there nething rong with it
3.is ther anything i should know about it

thanks for any help :)

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
try the search function

First, on this forum and on thumpertalk there are alot of postings about these bikes.

I seem to remember possible clutch problems, but you should use the search function or scan back in the older messages to learn more.

I have a '98 YZf and love it. It starts 1st or 2nd kick, runs great and works well on a motocross track. I had a XR400 before. They are two totally different bikes. For trail rides I would pick the XR any day, for motocross the YZ wins hands down.

The only problem I had was with some mild overheating. I switched the radiator cap to a 1.8? off a Kawa 500 and the problem is gone.

Mike

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by RaTH_CHiLD
so would you recomend the 98 instead of the 99?
:eek:

I wouldn’t, although they aren’t all that different, the ’98 tended to leak coolant out the impeller shaft, I think the ’99 had a different impeller shaft that corrected this. I think they also strengthened the crank a bit for ’99.

As for clutch problems, simimi is probably thinking of the ’00 YZ 426, they added a plate for that year but forgot to make the cases big enough to fit it in there, plus the ‘00 has an overly grabby clutch, something I’ve never really heard YZ 400 owners complain of.

IMO the ’99 YZ 400 is probably the best 2 year old motocross bike out there.

Dan

Jan 15, 2000
Havent had any problems with mine yet. Full of power and speed and is extremly durable. The only problem i had was the first day i got it, had to start it, that was a bad day. not much riding going on. After i learned to start it, i am off and gone before the other people start there bikes, Almost fisrt kick all the time. Let it warm up properly and it will last a long time. Change the oil alot. Problem, you have to take the stock header off the change the oil filter, aftermarket companys have made pipes to correct this though. As far as bikes go this is the best one i have ever owned. I go through front wheel bearings, its not to bad though. About every 8 to 10 months.(Yes i pack them). Just basic tune-ups. Clean air filter a lot also, and the breather hose coming out of the head stick a small filter on it, i run a small uni on mine to keep it from sucking dirt. If you get one you will not be disapointed. If it is jetted right and you warm it up correctly you will not fowl a plug, but if you do be prepared to take the gas tank off. I havent fowled one yet but i change it just to give me peace of mind. That is my .02584739450322553 cents.

RaTH_CHiLD

Apr 22, 2001
thanks a lot that answeres about everything i need to know
although i didnt know you could foul plugs on four strokes Oh well u learn something new everyday.
thanks
:confused:

Top Bottom