YZF426 2000/01 General Info - Buying Bike Tomorrow

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
After any and all opinions, information and anecdotes please.

Have comitted to buy a YZF426 tomorrow. Advertised as a 2000 model, but on inpsection was advised it's a 2001. Price is AUD 4,000 which seems a very fair price. The seller appears genuinely reluctant (just bought a house, domestic responsibilities etc). I have ridden the bike and it is very solid and clean.

I've not owned a four stroker before. What life span is expected from a top end in one of these machines? It has had a piston and ring(s?) refresh 12 months ago. The gear box had a problem jumping out of 5th, so has been overhauled. Suspension is solid, fork seals have been done. Starts cold on two kicks, warm on one.
Some paintwork on the underside of the frame is worn as expected, but appearance is generally clean. Rims are straight, hubs are tight, gear shift true and dependable. In short, I am worried this is too good to be true.

What should I be wary of? Are there any known problems with this model?

Time is of the escence here. It's a good price and I think will be snapped up if I don't buy this weekend.

Thanks,
Buck (soon to be owner of a Thumper!).

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Couple of pics....

YZF426%202.JPG

YZF426.JPG

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The 2000 had some minor issues that were addressed in '01, so it's good that the year was wrong. Top ends on these bikes are as tough as nails, as long as they aren't abused. I've heard of a few tranny problems, but didn't have any myself.

Used bikes are always tough to evaluate, though. You can take a high hour beater, add new plastic and paint, and the darn thing looks like new.

How much is AUD 4000 is $US? How many AUD is a new YZF450?

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks for the response, holeshot.

4000 AUD is about 3000 USD at the moment. An '04 is around AUD 12,000 I think. Things tend to be relatively more expensive here in Australia - smaller market and the wrong end of the shipping lines.

'01 bikes seem to be selling from AUD 4600 to 6000. This worries me, but gee this thing looks and feels great. Having said that however, I'm coming off a '95 RM which is not the tightest of machines.

'02 YZFs are AUD 6000 and up.

Well, can't die wondering I suppose. I'm gonna buy this sucker.

Last edited:

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Oh, are the year models stamped on the frame as a number, or do letters represent different years? How can I tell wether it's a '00 or '01?

Thanks again.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
In the US the vin is stamped on the steering head, usually on the right. In the US the 10th digit of the vin indicates the year.
Y=2000
1=2001
Again this is how its done here. Not sure if its the same down under or not?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Also our VIN's are 17 digits. Not sure if that will help or not, but worth a try?

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Man, it's 2:45 in the morning here and I have to be up at 8 to go and check this bike over again and hand over some cash. But I can't sleep. I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas ( er.... who am I kidding?!)

B

biglou

I loved my 01. Never had a problem out of it in 2 yrs. Never had the valve lash go out of spec, either. Be sure you know the starting routine, and you will be good to go. :cool:

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Well, guys, turns out it's a 2000. Anyway, I'm buying it. What the hey. Deposit down, pick her up during the week.

Have receipts for top end work, tranny work and fork seals. Good luck to me.

Thanks for the help,
Buck.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
yeh, should be impossible not too.

Further good news - the top end, gear box and fork seals were done in October, not 12 months ago.

Now I just gotta learn how to kick this sucker over and a maintenance routine.

Bring it on!!

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
I need to pre-empt what will inevitably be troublesome starting for the first few goes. I'm used to kicking a smoker with short, fast, repeated kicks. It seems the yzf will require one big, full kick and being a smaller lad on a taller bike, this is going to be tough.

So assuming I give it a couple of kicks and it doesn't start, what do I do next? Should I keep kicking it? Do I try a hot start to lean out the mix? Do I let it stand for while?

Do I have the procedure down:
Choke out. Slow kick to TDC. Decompress, move kicker down a touch. Release decompression lever. Kick with all my mite?

B

biglou

Your last sentence is correct. One other thing, if it's really cold out, 40f or below, blip the throttle one time before kicking. Other than that, NEVER touch the throttle. Keep your right hand on the front master cylinder so you don't twist the throttle by reflex! If you do, you may flood or at least force a few extra kicks.

When it's really hot, like you stall in a turn, or lay it over, do the same procedure that you listed except pull the hot start button out - but definitey do not blip the throttle! If it won't start, pull the decomp in and kick it over 2-4 times, this will bring some cooler air into the cylinder. "cleaning it out" it's commonly referred to as. Then try the hot start procedure.

It will all become second nature after a few tries. And you are going to love the torque this thing has off the bottom! How well are your arms attached at the shoulders?! ;)

PS: There were two video articles buried deep somewhere at yamaha-motor.com a couple years back. Not sure if they are still there or not since everything since 03 has had the auto decomp cam in them. If I find it, I'll link you. I do remember disagreeing with Dr. D about giving it a full twist before cold starting. That's a bit too much fuel, IMO. Also, check the thumper forum for a thread posted in the last day or two about starting 4-strokes. It deals with the newer models, but other than the auto decomp, and the new bikes seeming to like the short, stabbing kicks like a 2-stroke, there is some decent info I posted in there about the carbs, etc.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks Lou.

I did search the forums and came up with a few good threads, and a video article form Yamaha that I'm yet to watch.

Bring it on!!

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
I picked her up. Whoo hoo!

I've ordered a Clymer manual which will take a few days to arrive, but I need to check the vitals before I ride her.

I assume that I check oil level and condition with the dipstick at the head of the frame, infront of the tank. With engine cold the stick is dry. If the oil is filled to the correct level, it should show between the high and low marks, right? hmmm. I also assume that there is only one oil for both engine and tranny.

B

biglou

Check oil with warm engine. Let it idle for 60 seconds or so, shut it off, wait ~30 seconds and then check oil. Check it without screwing the dipstick in, just set it in the hole, then remove it. As long as you're in the hash marked area, you're good to go.

Top Bottom