bdunlap86

Apr 9, 2007
I just recently purchased a 2000 yzf426. Im having some problems with it. The clutch has no play in it....it's either in or out....no ability to "ride the clutch". When I pull out in first gear and let the clutch out its real jerky. Also when im in 4rth gear and 4rth gear only....as soon as I get on the throttle it slips real bad...in and out of gear it almost feels like. Any ideas???????
Thanks Brandon

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's time for a new clutch, the basket is probably notched and the plates are probably worn.

Slips out of gear? What does that mean?

bdunlap86

Apr 9, 2007
yzf426 4rth gear slips

Wll i dont think it slips out of gear, but it sure feels like it! When i crack the throttle...it jerks like hell, almost as if i was pulling the clutch in and out....i checked out the clutch plates and they didnt seem too bad,

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
+1 on the notched basket and plates. Either you or a preivious owner could have stripped 4th gear out by not using the clutch properly when you shift or whatever. That or the the shift forks could be worn.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
im leaning on towards the new clucth, the symptoms your are describind sounds like your clutch is slipping when you crack the throttle. This is usually caused by worn clutch plates. nd the jerking and no 'riding the clutch' is probably notches in the clutch basket. if you re-do the clutch, file down the notches with a file so that they are flat. You can only do this once though.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Sounds like it is the clutch plates to me too...

If it were me:

Remove old clutch cable
Drain the oil
Pull the clutch cover off
Remove the clutch
Replace the plates, springs, and screws
Put the basket in some protective rags and place in a vice
File down the ridges in the basket (don't go crazy here...just eliminate the ridges)
Clean the filings off the basket
Reinstall the basket (using new lock washer)
Put new plates in as per your user manual
Use new springs and screws too
Put clutch cover on (using new gasket)
torque everything to factory specs
Fill with gear oil (I use 85w Bel Ray Gear Saver)
Install new clutch cable (or lube your old one) and adjust it
Go riding and have fun

Top Bottom