JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I'm in need of expert Z50 advise. I have an older Z50 (1984, although motor is apparently a 70s vintage). It's totally stock. I put new rings and gaskets in it last year. The problem is I can't get it to stop fouling plugs! It will run fine for a few days, then start breaking down and finally won't start. Put a fresh plug in, or even a carefully cleaned one, and she runs first kick.

It's frustrating as I use it to take my young son for rides, but the lack of consistant starting is a problem that he simply doesn't understand and leads to great disappointment if I don't have a fresh plug handy.

It seems to carburate decently when running I suppose, has lots of compression and doesn't burn oil. Could it be a weak coil? Any suggestions?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks Bodge, I'll have another look. They were new when I put the motor back together and it's had this fouling problem all along, but it is worth a second look.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
what color is the plug when you pull it out? I'd guess that your rich. they run OK rich just fould plugs. Unless the little guy is on the gas its probably rich down low in the pilot jet area.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Where did you put the ring gaps? Also check you air filter to make sure it isn't completely clogged/extremely dirty.

I'd check your coil output first.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
The plug is sooty black. Julius, actually I can't tell you where the ring gap is...a buddy of mine actually put the cylinder on, while I was working at something else. Hummm??? :think:

Airfilter is clean. Haven't checked coil output. What should it be? No, I haven't got a manual :( Rookie mistake, but I figured...hey, it's only a Z50 right? :bang:

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to check the point gap or anything else recently, but might get the chance over the weekend, if I play my cards right.

Stupid question #2...what is the recommended points gap? I originally gapped them based on a verbal suggestion from a local Z50 guy, but have long since forgotten it...and perhaps it was wrong to start with?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your patience with my ignorance. I'm really starting to sound like the kid asking for the "red power band" :ugg:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom