angst2

May 24, 2001
I am about to become the proud owner of the minibike that I never got in my childhood. It is the japanese knock off of the z50. It has already been tricked out a bit to make it an adult pit bike with bars and a 70cc head.
My question is about suspension. After an exhaustive search on the net I can not find springs for this bike to make it a better ride for an adult. Heaps of sites are dedicated to xr50 hop ups, but not to z50. A couple of sites vaguely suggest that xr50 fork springs will also go in a z50 but I need advice.
What is the possibility that I can find heavier springs at some sort of industrial supply place?
Any sources for z50 (not xr50) aftermarket parts?
Eric Z

angst2

May 24, 2001
thanks for the links. that puts me on the right track.
The bike shop mentioned something that might work. They said that frequently people just put an inch and a half section of pvc pipe inside the forks. This raises the level and increases the stiffness. They said that it doesnt decrease the travel because it will bottom out before the spring compression limits it. Anything wrong with this cheap solution?

Eric Z

PS wasn't it fast 50's that had the pictures of bikini models hanging out on a xr50? I saw it on the web somewhere but I cant find it again. Those pics would make a great cheezy desktop background for my computer.

Top Bottom