“New” Honda HP Pro chain lube in a blue can?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I ordered four cans of Honda HP Pro chain lube from Chaparral, expecting the red can stuff I got last time. What came were blue cans entitled “Pro Honda HP Chain Lube” with “White Graphite”. It’s the same Chaparral part number as before but the red can Honda part number is 08209-013HP, while the new blue can is 08209-014HP. Does anyone know anything about this lube? Is Honda phasing out the red can lube? I looked on the Honda website, but they just show the red can lube. No mention of the blue can lube.

This one says it dries to a “tacky” film . What I liked about the red can was exactly that it did not dry into a tacky dirt magnet. I thought I’d post here to see what folks know about it before deciding whether to send it back.

Racercr125r

Mar 16, 2003
The blue can has the stuff that gives that white coating on the chains. I'm not sure what its called though. White Lithium grease maybe?? They are still going to continue to make the regular lube in the red can.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Racecr125r, have you used the blue stuff? Is the white coating sticky when it dries? I don't want to use any until I decide whether I'm going to try to send them back or not.

Funny that if you go to honda's "oils and chemcals" webpage, they show the red can lube with Teflon but nothing about the blue can stuff.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i just bought a can of the hp red can chain lube yesterday, i really like because its not tacky and does not attact dirt like other brands do, i hope they continue to make the stuff. the guy at the dealer tried to get me to buy the maxima chain wax for some reason, i told him i used it and didnt like it, he didnt think the hp was for dirt use.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I finally ended up using one can to try it out, and sure enough, the new blue stuff dries to a sticky, tacky (i.e. "dirt magnet") consistency. Chaparral says they have made a "line change" - which apparently means that they supercede one product with another without changing their part number. They will give me my $$$ back (but won't pay shipping) . Factoring in NY to CA shipping, it's cheaper to toss the remaining cans in the trash. Yet another reason to avoid Chaparral. I hope Honda continues to make the red stuff, but I can't see Chaparral changing unless there was some issue with Honda changing their lineup.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Thanks Dave, I looked over the site and I’ve been thinking of giving it a try, considering that it’s owned by a DRN’er. I like products by people who actually ride. Now that my Chaparral source for the (red) honda stuff is drying up, maybe now’s the time to try it. What size do you buy? Seems like with shipping, the $/oz is up there unless you buy by the gallon.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I bought a 16 oz bottle and the small needle applicator. It is a lot cheaper to buy it by the gallon but it's still a pretty good deal in the smaller container. A little goes a long way.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
ya that blue stuff is crap. My parts guy started stocking it and not the red...idiot!! Finally figured out no one (not even street bikers) like the stuff so we've got the red can again :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom