OcoWells

Nov 16, 2004
I'm planning on picking up one of these two bikes in the next week used, but was wondering how much different the handling and case reed engine is on the 02+ CR250 vs. the 01. I prefer high HP, pipey bikes, esp. with the power in the mid-to-top area as I only ride desert (long live the 96 CR250 :aj: ). Also, does anyone know the differences between the 02, 03, and 04 CR250's, and if it's worth buying a year newer or just sticking with the 02? Thanks! :cool:

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
There is a noticeable difference between the pre and post 02 cr250. The latest 02 frame feels lighter and the ergo makes it a very fun bike. I'd say stick with the 02. The 03-04 are not better.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Yeah, I'd say go with an 02' or an 03'...They handle much better and feel much lighter...

The 03' makes a bit more peak HP than both the 02' and 04'...The Honda probably has the best top end power of any two stroke offering right now.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
I rode a 02 honda cr250 the other day. It had stacks of power when it finally kicked in. The bottom end was crap compared to my old cr. It did have a way stronger top end though. It just makes me wonder why honda would make such a no bottom heaps of top motor in an age where tight supercross tracks are the only place the 250 still rule. And I would think a strong bottom end would be better here.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
I also own a '96 CR250 which is for sale. I love the power and the way it handled. But in my opinion you can't beat Honda's 3rd generation aluminum frame.

http://www.islandpreviews.com/main/modules/dsclassifieds/detail.php?ad_id=23619

I recently bought an '02 CR250 and I love it :aj: . I was very surprised at how light the bike feels (it almost feels like riding a 125). The stock suspension feels great too. It feels better than my '96 with Race Tech Gold Valves.

Instead of screwing around with the Mikuni TMX carb (you can read threads about hassles with jetting the Mikuni for hours here), I swapped in a Keihin 38mm PWK/AS jetted according to a 2000 CR250, a Vforce Delta 3 reed cage, and I have 3 FMF pipes: Fatty, Gnarly, and SST pipes. FMF power core silencer.

• Fatty: Lots of low to mid right off the bottom. Some over rev lost.
  • Gnarly: Same as above. I use this one for trails. A lot of 1st gear trails here.
  • SST: Best pipe for my mods. Great all around power with a lot of over rev. Front wheel likes to leave the ground with this pipe. Great for the MX Track.

That is my 2 cents........

Aloha from Honolulu, HI

Tracy

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I keep reading about people putting PWKs in their bikes to solve the jetting and to be honest, I am not noticing any improvement in power from the carb swap. It seems like the 2001 runs like a 2001 regardless of the carb. Put another way, the 00 carburetor didn't give my 01 the 00 low end power. If it doesn't work some kind of magic on that one, I can't see how it would be any different on the 02/03. I almost wonder if the perceived problem with Mikunis is that the weaker low-end power of the 01-04s can't be fixed simply by changing jets.

Top Bottom