csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Alright, my ktm 250 exc has extreamly stiff front shocks, if i lock the break up and push down as hard as I can, they compress a couple inches.

all the other bikes i checked go down alot and move alot more.

do you think this is to much oil? what could it be?

thanks!

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
it could be, but it does move, it just is really really stiff, i didnt know if maybe it was to much oil.

it just has alot of dampening. it compresses slow and rebounds slow.

not sure ill check that

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Did you bleed the air from the forks? It needs to be bled with the front wheel off the ground. Although slow rebound could eliminate that as a potential cause. I'd check it anyway.

Were the forks ever revalved for a heavier rider? You may need lighter springs and valving.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, first make sure the air is bled...with the wheel off the ground. Then if it's still stiff feeling try to realign everything.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
i took the little screws beside the dampening screw out, and a ton of air blew out.

now it works!

how the air get in there? it was like compressed air was in there.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Great. Sometimes it's the simple things. ;)

You should bleed the forks before every ride...when they are at room temp. They will pressurize as the get hot so only check it when cold. It gets in under the fork seal as the forks move up and down. It is a very small amount each time but as you just found out it can add up! Those forks move a lot when you ride,

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
man, i would say so, it was like an air compressor, i was like , oh crap i just let the nitrogen out or somthing, then i was like wait, there is no nitrogen.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Haha, yeah, no gas charge in the forks! Just don't bleed them with the bike on the ground!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
No, oil shouldn't spray out, it would cause there to be vacuum in there when the forks extend. I'd imagine you'd risk drawing more dirt and crap into the seals if you did that, not to mention they would probably ride funky.

Top Bottom