saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I just picked up a 00 CR250. It has the stock pipe on it which is very badly dented. I would like to order a new pipe before the upcoming harescramble. With that being said, I will be using the bike for woods riding and harescrambles only, no MX whatsoever. Looking at Rockymtn.com I have a few different choices
- FMF Gnarly Torque
- FMF Fatty Moto
- FMF SST - A little more than I would prefer to spend
- Pro Circuit Factory
- Pro Circuit Platinum
The bike has plenty of power up top and not enough on the bottom end, based on this I am leaning towards the Gnarly Torque, but I'd like to hear you guys opinions first.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Well too late I already ordered one. The Gnarly happened to be $119 on FMF website for my year. All the others were $219. I dunno why the Gnarly was so cheap but its price made the decision for me.

Tazman822

Apr 21, 2006
Hello, have the same question. Except I dented, more like smashed my pipe. I only trail ride with the family, don’t need mush top end. Would like opinions on which pipe would be best for slow trial ridding.
Thanks, Scott

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The FMF Fatty is a great all-around pipe. I felt the bike ran better from bottom to top. Minor gains, though. The Gnarly I ran on my 99cr250 did help the bottom a noticeable amount, but it took some from the top. It was a good trade-off for me, as it helped make the bike easier to ride hillclimbing and on tight trails. Another thing to consider for slow speed trails is a flywheel weight. I ran a 12oz. weight, and combined with the Gnarly pipe my 99 was almost stall-proof. It would lug around and find traction everywhere.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I'm glad I pointed that out - if I saved even one person some money then I will feel happy. I was watching a bid on eB@y for a used 00 Gnarly pipe for the 250, it ended at $145 and another $25 to ship. Its against eB@y's policy but I wanted to email the high bidder and tell him that brand new its only $119 with $12 to ship from FMF!

Another thing to consider Tazman is that the Gnarly pipe is made out of 18 gauge metal as opposed to 19 gauge like the Fatty pipe - which means its a little bit thicker/stronger. This may not be much, but for the trail riding that we do, it might be just enough to save us from a future dent.

Tazman822

Apr 21, 2006
Yes, saveaux you did save me $100, thank you. Normally I’m not that lucky. We where down your way two weeks ago that’s how I smashed my pipe. We where riding in Harland Co. KY. Maybe next time will make it down your way, any good places to trail ride?
Scott

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Tazman - I've never ridden in Harland County, how is it? I am in the Memphis Motorcycle Club and we rent 4 different properties that we have harescramble races on. These trails can be ridden year long whether your a member or not. Since they are HS courses they are between 5.5-7 miles long, which may not be long enough for a special ride down but they are definately fun. If your ever going to be in the area email me and I will let ya know where to go or come ride with ya.

Tazman822

Apr 21, 2006
Thanks I’ll email you if we make it down that way again. Harland Co. I think is more for quads. I ride with the family, was real hard on a 2-stoke bike. We road real slow uphill with the kids, my bike over heated. Great views and all the people there where fantastic, that made for a great trip.
Scott

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Speaking of a 2000 CR250...

I just bought a 2000 CR250R that came with a Factory Works pipe, I havent opened the carb yet to see what jets/needle position its set at, and its got stock gearing 13/50 sprockets. I want to make this into a woods bike and possibly do some hare scrambles also. What is the recommended woods config? I'd like to keep the pipe I have but as far as sprockets and jetting what do I need to go with? I went to The Ridge yesterday and did a lot of trail riding and wore out my clutch hand in some of the slower sections.
Thanks
Todd

Top Bottom