dtsviper

~SPONSOR~
May 31, 2000
I just finished rebuilding the top end on my KX250. I have only had the bike a little over a month so I wanted to go through most of it to find out the "real" condition of the used bike I bought.

Well, after replacing the rusted bearings in the rear-shock and linkage, I tore in to the top-end.

When I started putting the power valves back in, things didn't seem to work correctly. The exhaust valves on the side only opened partially and seemed to turn too far in when closed. No problem! I found that the main valve rod was off by one tooth.

With that fixed, and the rotating valve on the right (looking from the bottom, like the manual shows) set for the correct mark on the teeth and the slide gear, it worked. But, the exhaust valve on the left was off by one tooth mark to work correctly. I played with it some more but always ended up with the left valve being one tooth off of the punch mark.

The manual is not very detailed on installation of the power valves, so I was hoping someone with a late model KX250 could clue me in. I saw a post that referenced a punch-mark not being correct on the valves, but this is a notched tooth.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance!

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I have a 2000 kx250 and the same thing hapened to me. I know what you are talking about with the notched tooth. Just set everything up manually, meaning, the marks on the gears arent used.

Top Bottom