pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I have put in racetech gold valves and a softer spring(3.7) and i wasnt happy with it anyway, bottomed easy but yet feeling harsh. It didnt actually work at all when riding very slow over small bumps, the forks just stood still and the bike took all the vibrations.

So i put in new bushings as i was recomended. Doesnt seem to work still. I havent taken it out for a ride but when i sit on it and rock a little the forks doesnt travel at all, i have to brake and put load on the handlebar to make it move. It seems to be alot of stiction but what the heck can it be? I tried loosening all bolts and spun the wheel and braked, many many times but didnt help, whats the correct way to set the forks straight?

And yeah, what the heck should i do? If the bike wont work as i want tomorrow on the track i dont know what to do.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
When you had them apart, Cld you move the legs tru the sliders easily. When you pulled up the legs, were they falling down tru the sliders by their own weight. So was there any stiction then? My legs will fall down tru the sliders freely. This will also show whether the legs are crooked.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by georgieboy
When you had them apart, Cld you move the legs tru the sliders easily. When you pulled up the legs, were they falling down tru the sliders by their own weight.

Yes they fall through easy. Its only when they are on the bike.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by KTM-Lew
Are the forks being pinched in when you tighten the axle ? What torque spec did you use on the triple clamps?

No i first tighten the axle then the fork leg screws. No idea about the torque but its enought on the top to hold the forks down and on the lower just enought to make it stable.

I have been doing some work on my racetech vavles and i think the forks were still too hard but have had too little oil so therefore will bottom easy. Now i have made the valving softer and added more oil, i hope it will help. I rode my friends '02yz250f today and i noticed his forks acts a little like mine, that it wont work when riding very slow but they are working fine when riding normally, much softer than mine.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
so it's just a valving thingie than. No worries about it.
Once i had mine valved very stiff/hard the legs were not moving either.
Same as yrs. Just lighten up valving more if you need it.
By the way, if yr midvalve as no float the forks will be very stiff initially.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Try putting your bike on a stand. Then loosen the 2 R/S axle pinch bolts. Carefully tap a straight blade screwdriver into the slot between the bolts. Then take & pull & push the r/s fork untill you see there is no binding on the axle. Carefully pull the screwdriver out & tighten the bolts. This is the best way to make sure your forks aren't binding.

doc

Top Bottom