GoOYdOo

May 27, 2008
Hey guys im new to dirtbikes...i just bought a 2000 RM250 saturday for $1200,i drove it and it went through the gears fine the 5-6 times that i went through them all.I get the bike home and i went trail riding yesterday,and the bike wouldnt shift from 2nd to 3rd,then,it wouldnt leave 2nd into first,and then it wouldnt shift at all when i got it into neutral.I took out the drain plug and i saw one small chunk of metal,and it appears to me to be a tooth.No matter if i move the wheel or hold in the clutch,i can only go from neutral to 2nd,and from 2nd to third,but as soon as i move the wheel,it pops back to 2nd,cant get to any of the other gears.Any help would be appreciated.

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
The suzuki two strokes are notorious for weak trannies, almost everyone I know that has owned one has had problems, shift forks mostly and weak clutches prone to slipping.

GoObYdOo

Jun 15, 2006
well i got the shifter free'd up and all,and the guy thats been helping me wanted to see if it made any noises,so we put it back together and when it sits in neutral,its making a clicking noise in the transmission,obviously from where that tooth was broken off,and i was hoping before i took this thing apart if someone would know which gears specifically to look at when its clicking in neutral so i have a better idea where to go to first.Thanks!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You keep spinning it with broke parts in there, and the guy at the parts counter is loving every minute of that. It never dawned on you that you could be making something worse?

GoObYdOo

Jun 15, 2006
it wasnt clicking a couple of days ago,and when we took off the clutch cover off we found nothing wrong and it shifted fine,so we assumed the broken tooth was possibly from something else and just got stuck in the tranny somewheres..I started it up for not even 5 minutes and it just then started clicking.Did it ever dawn on you that i only ran it for not even a minute before shutting it off?Im not an idiot,i just dont know much of what goes on inside of a dirtbike transmission.If you arent going to offer any help keep your comments to yourself.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
GoObYdOo said:
so we assumed the broken tooth was possibly from something else and just got stuck in the tranny somewheres..I started it up for not even 5 minutes and it just then started clicking.Did it ever dawn on you that i only ran it for not even a minute before shutting it off?

Hes helping you out by telling you not to run your engine when you have no idea whats wrong with it. You drain the oil, and you find a missing tooth. You have no idea where it is from. You have no idea if its the only one. You really do want to make your hundred dollar fix into more then a couple hundred dollar fix, huh?

GoObYdOo

Jun 15, 2006
im not going to spend a wad of money on parts on just an assumption that the tooth is a current issue,i started it up for a mere 15-20 seconds to see if there was any noises as my shifting issue had gone away and everything seemed to be in order,and the bike didnt make that noise before changing the oil in the first place,i changed the oil then all of a sudden it started clicking,there were no noises before.I asked a question of what the possible gears could be clicking when the bike sits and idles in neutral.I didnt ask if i should be running it or not,i have common sense,as soon as it started clicking i shut off the engine.If you cant help me answer my question then dont respond.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some guy played a trick on you and put part of a gear in your trans, you are good to go. Real world, you need to find where it came from. The clutch side would be easy to rule out. Chances are best the trans is coming apart. In an engine that runs over 8,000 rpm, how many times is the damaged area come into contact and make further damage. A chunk falls into what was a good gear. Forcing the bike to shift and something is awry inside already, once again causes further problems. You know something is wrong, get a shop manual and a couple special tools.

Top Bottom