00RM250 bottom end locked up...

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I was riding at the track today and my bike just sputtered and shut off. I kicked it back over and it started just fine. It quit again in about 100yds. I started it a 3rd time and try to get back to the truck, it dies half way there...Anyways, I cant start it up now, its locked up.

I have taken the motor completely out and have taken everything off so now I just have to split the cause. My questions are, without an actual case splitter, what is the best way to do this?

I am thinking that it is a crank bearing has somehow locked up, is this most likely true? What all should be replaced when I do this? I figure the crank bearings. I just replaced the crank seals the night before...

All help is appreciated...
Thanks,
Chris

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I bought a steering wheel puller from Autozone for about 15 bucks.. Then got some long metric bolts & washers from the hardware store. The ones that come with the puller aren't metric and are too big.

It's not perfect, but I've been able to use it on several different engines, with pretty good luck.

gregorious77

Feb 1, 2009
Have you taken the head and barrel off yet? if the skirt has broken off the piston it is likely it is now in the crank causing it to lock up. this is exactly what happened to my RM125.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Ditto with Indy. I use an auto timing gear puller with longer metric bolts for case splitter to two-bolt cases. Steering wheel puller for three-bolt cases.
And yes people have split cases without puller, but for $15-$20 in tools and bolts, why bother messing things up?

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I will probably get one, or see if a friend of mine has one(puller)...And no, the piston is perfect...Another question, completely off topic, but I dont really want to start another thread...Is there anything to worry about when powercoating a frame? I mean with the bearings in the neck? I figure I will do that and rebuild my forks all at the same time(one is leaking), so what weight oil?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom