fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
From the posts I noticed that a lot of guys are using CEK and DDK needles with success. Has anyone tried the DEK needle which puts the taper between the clip positions of the DDK?

nwrider

Dec 2, 2001
needles

hey fish head

i am not familiar with the needles you are talking about. i own a 01 250 exc and my brother owns an 00 250 exc. i switched to a tripple taper h and so did my brother, however he says everyone in spokane is having success with single taper.
what are you running?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I am currently running a single taper CEK in the #4 clip position and a 42 pilot on the 01 250E. I am going to run some tests versus the nozg needle and later I may try a DDK or a DEK

I presume you mean the NOZH ktm needle how does it ride compared to the G needle?

nwrider

Dec 2, 2001
needle

fishhead
yeah, nozh in number 2 position
i rode the son of the winch a couple of weeks ago
i don't know a lot about jetting, but the bike seemed to ping at an idle.
i think im close to getting it right, the changes i have made have made a big improvement over stock. any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
James Dean and Upsideup constructed and excel spreedsheet which allows needle taper comparison between three needles at a time. Based on that chart the H needle is leaner at 0-1/8 throttle opening than the G needle and there are no other differences. You might be able to overcome the ping with an airscrew or pilot jet adjustment. Another alternative is a 50/50 race and pump gas mix.

The other culprit might be timing.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Carburetors are about the air and gas period. Colder temps, altitude, humidity are all factors in overall jetting performance. These factors change with every ride. They are never the same. My opinion, which is nothing more than my opinion, so don't read anymore into this than that.

The jetting spreadsheet is a very welcomed tool. Reviewing it to help determine which direction to head when a jetting problems arises is worth its weight in gold. Having said this, you're only real jetting 'tool' is the seat of your pants, and your wrist. Patience along with a step by step approach are the only answers.

I think you are on the right track by experimenting. It takes, what, 3 - 4 minutes to move the clip or even change the needle? It is very easy to do once you have done it a few times. The hardest thing for me is doing it. Most of the time I just want to ride, and not fiddle with dialing the bike. I cannot tell my friends I am riding that day, so I can get the jetting done.

Race gas does seem to really smooth out the jetting on 250-380 KTMs. when I bought my 1st KTM '99-380exc, the owner told me that is what he ran,so, so did I. When I try periodically to run pump gas I always have issues.

I know I have rambled, sorry!:silly: :eek: :silly:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Strick,
Makes sense to me, I to use the Heine Dyno with good results. The stiff foam in the KTM seats makes the sensor more accurate. Currently with the CEK-4 I have a little lean surge at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. Temps are in the low 40's and high 30' and raining right now. Just curious if this surge was a common occurance. Given the popularity of the honda jets with a short initial taper I believe it might be. I also think there is a bit of affirmation error as to what is good jetting so descriptions of power characteristics are important tools as well.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by fishhead
Strick,
I also think there is a bit of affirmation error as to what is good jetting so descriptions of power characteristics are important tools as well.

Agreed. I run a 1367N (CGH) needle #2 in summer #3 in winter. I do change jets however seasonally. If you use James Dean's needle chart (in a vacuum) you should be able to figure out where to go. I think the thickness of the 1369 can be a little much in the winter, but once again who am I but an over 40 KTM rider?

Anyway, Good LucK

Top Bottom