Montana300

May 4, 2000
I found the time to put 110 miles on the '01 this weekend in technical mountain trails. The new bike is definitely better, some because it is new and also because there has been some definite improvements.

What is better:

Clutch, maybe it is just a change in leverage at the lever, but I really like the more progressive feel and easier pull.

Fork, I was worried that I wouldn't like the inverts as much as the conventionals on the '99, but the tradeoff in rigidity is appreciated.

Shock, I need to add some preload, but for slow trail work it was great, has the 300E received a lighter shock spring?

Tank, love the clear, there is more room to change your clip and the shrouds are now screwed onto the tank so they don't catch on your pants.

Chain slider, it seems that the chain slider atop the swingarm now has taller sides to help keep the chain from contacting the kickstand, this noise drove me nuts on the '99, nice change.

What is not better:

Tires, Bridgestones, especially the front, still don't work where I ride.

Front brake, spongy lever, works well but not solid feeling, bleeding did not help, suggestions anyone?

Bars, existing bar clamp for Scotts damper only works on "1", not really a problem, but to open up the cockpit I have to buy a different bar clamp.

Pipe, had to make some adjustments to my old Gnarly pipe to make if fit the '01 because the new jug is wider on the right side, basically I pounded it flatter on the back with my 5lbs. hammer!

I love the new bike. I was somewhat worried that I wouldn't like the new forks but no worries there, and the other updates are appreciated. My only real complaint is the front brake, but that may be fixable.

Current jetting; CGK needle 3rd position, handcut slide at approximately 7.5, 42 pilot, 178 main, AS 1out. I was riding at 4-7000 feet, 90-95 degrees. I think I will raise the needle one and see if it doesn't improve the power delivery a bit.

Final words, I don't need no four stroke...

Last edited:

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Thanks, Katoomer I will give that a try. I have a riding buddy that had a '96 KTM who complained of a air bubble that he couldn't remove, until one day it just "came out" after a crash were the bike slammed to the ground. He said the next time he applied the brake he about crashed again because the brake was so much better. I am hoping for similiar but predictable results:)

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Im also the proud owner of a new 01 300 exc.Im very impressed with the bike BUT those Bridgestone tires(front mainly) are the most pathetic excuse for a tire I have ever seen.Anyone have any GOOD tire recommendations?I might be just overreacting but IMHO the front tire is borderline dangerous in the type of terrain I ride in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom