tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
I am a long-time Honda rider, A-level, currently riding XR250/600, CR 500. I rode a 2001 400 MXC for the first time which was also my first ride on a KTM. Overall, I thought the bike performed well - stable, good suspension, light feel, strong power, wide powerband. The e-start is wonderful and the juice clutch works great as do the brakes! HOWEVER ... I was surprised by and disappointed in the bike's inability to hold a tight line while flicking it about in the tight stuff (Northern PA hills-rocks, roots ,mud). It consistently understeered, forcing wider lines and throttle corrections. I'm no Shane Watts, but my XR's are much easier to ride quickly in the tight stuff. The owner of the KTM has the same complaint (he is a long-time expert-level KTM 2 stroke woods rider, this is his first KTM 4 stroke). He said that installing a new set of triple clamps that move the fork tubes 2mm closer to the steering head is supposed to cure the problem, but can't justify spending the $500 for a new set of clamps on a bike that already costs $7,000. I have to agree and am having second thoughts about buying that new 400 EXC that I thought would be my ideal woods bike. Any comments?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Dial the suspension! Does you weight allow proper sag settings?

Also once the bike is rejetted, and with the addtional of a T-4, it becomes a completely different animal.

KTM do take some getting used to, that is for sure. I went from a RM250 to a KTM 380 -- ouch! The 380 was a pig (handling wise) compared to the 'ole RMs. I have had handling issues recently with my '02 400SX. I spent 1/2 of my last ride just dialing in the suspension settings. Now it is much, much better.

Top Bottom