KM Burgess

Oct 30, 2001
I have had from new an '01 520 EXC and I can't seem to get the front end to steer to the point where I'm happy with it. It just doesn't inspire any confidence at all when charging hard into a corner (especially loose flat turns). Even in soft berms the front wants to tuck under and I don't have the confidence in the front to push any great lean angles in corners like I see others doing because it feels like the front is going to wash out from underneath me, plus the the bike just wants to track all over the place (climb out of ruts and wander). I regularly race a mate on an XR650 and he can out turn me every time (our skill level is the same and his bike has stock setup). I weigh 85kg with my gear on, have 0.42kg/mm fork springs with 40mm of static sag, fork oil is 5wt & set at 150mm from the top, compession on 12 clicks out and rebound on 14 clicks out. PDS2-250 shock spring in the rear, compression on 8 clicks out and rebound on 20 clicks out. I have moved the forks up and down the triple clamps and have settled on the first line under the cap. I have gone from 90mm to 115mm of sag in the rear and settled on about 105mm with 40mm static sag. I had some Race Tech Gold Valves fitted in the forks and that reduced some of the harshness and mid-stroke spike. I run a Bridgestone ED11 front tyre. Put bluntly my old '97 KDX200 steered better, pushing the limits of steering just isn't an option on the 520. I consider myself to be a capable rider with a resonable skill level and know that these bikes have to be ridden aggressivley and from up the front. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx Guys.
Burgo

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
From what I have heard from others, the 16mm offset triple clamps may be the solution. Search these boards for comments and try to find someone who rides with these.

I hope this helps.

regards
TR

ktmrandy

Apr 4, 2002
I had the same problem with my 300exc and was ready to get rid of the bike. I bought the answer offset triple clamps and now the bike turns much quicker, tighter, and holds a line much better. The bike seems to be much more balanced front to rear also.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i suggest you try running no more than 20mm of free sag. it worked for me. perhaps best of all, it's free & easy to put it back if you don't like it.

flea

Oct 8, 2001
I agree with LAWMAN. Get the rear sag and spring weight right then look other solutions. I have 16mm offset clamps (it is true they work) but they are worthless if your sag is not set correctly

Top Bottom