CRspode

May 6, 2001
I'm looking at a clean, used 01 CR250. Was this a good year enginewise and overall? What generation frame was it, first or second? What's a good price to offer for it? It's very clean, never raced(that's what he says) and has some new parts, top end, etc..

Thanks for any input,

Scott
:yeehaw:

murphy's law

Oct 11, 2002
If i recall the 01 won a lot of the magazine 250cc shootouts. Not that this matters just FYI stuff. I've ridden one and the the motor was strong with a wide powerband w/ lots of over-rev. I've read that some 02-04 owners were moding there bikes so they could run the 01 motor with the 02-04 chassis/supension set up. The newer bikes are a little bit lighter and, in my opnion, handle and track better then the 01 and earlier models. But if what you're looking for is a strong motor the 01 is a good choice.

murphy's law

Oct 11, 2002
before you through a price out there check the bike out. It could be a clapped out piece of junk with new plastic. Be thorough and check the components out. Look underneath the bike to see if has signs of being habitualy bottomed out. Grab hold of the swing arm and shake it back and forth to check the swingarm and linkage bearings. Is the chain and sprockets worn? Check the plug and air filter. Ask questions about how he maintained the bike. What kind of riding did he do. Just because it's not "raced" doesnt mean it's not worn out. This guy could have done top speed runs below the high tide mark. If the bike is tight I'd offer between 2000 and 2500. good luck

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
The '01 was second generation aluminum frame, as was the '00. '97-99 were first generation, then '02 -up third.

The '01 is a good solid bike. I personally preferred the '00 with the Keihen carb, as I found the Mikuni a pain after years with Keihens. Stock suspension setting were better on the '01 thoughh for sure. Parts are interchangable between '00 and '01 bikes too.

Hope that helps some.

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
I have an '01 CR250 and it is sweet! Send it to Eric Gorr for mo betta porting and switch out the mikuni to a keihin and you are money.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
Thanks for the replies everyone,

I talked to the guy today and am going to look at the bike tomorrow or Saturday. He is about 34 yo, is the second owner (the first guy was about 37 like me) and that it has only been ridden on trails. It has a new top end, sprocket, chain and a few other things so I'm going to have to look close for signs of abuse. I'll check the swingarm play, the bottom of it for any major bottoming scuffs and also the clutch by putting it in gear and revving it some to see if it holds. Any other major things to check that he may have covered up with some quick 'window dressing'? He wants $3K for the bike and a converted waverunner trailer that now has three bike rails. That sounds like a good deal if the bike is near mint like he says. I'm just wary of an 01 that has had two owners without knowing the original owner's story.

Thanks again for all of the replies,

Scott

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
murphy's law said:
before you through a price out there check the bike out. It could be a clapped out piece of junk with new plastic.

This is what happened to my buddy that just bought a '99 CR250. New plastics, new graphics, new FMF Fatty...what he failed to see is leaking forks/smoked fork bushings, leaking shock shaft seal, leaky base gasket, blown left side crank seal, bald rear tire, weather checked front tire, bent front rim (really bent!), bent bars/levers, smoked front brake pads....it's too bad someone didn't go with him to look the bike over.

In addition to the other recommendations, I would take the left side case cover off. Look for a pool of premix (leaking crank seal) and/or play in the crank bearings by wiggling the flywheel. Take a look at the air filter as well, should be clean and freshly oiled IMO. Just look it over very carefully, and bring a buddy to help spot things you might not see. Good luck.

Top Bottom