moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
I would like opinions on how you guys like your Z71's. I am going to get one in the next week or less and would like your experience pulling trailers, mileage, reliability etc... I am getting ext cab-1/2 ton-5300 V8-trailer pkg-3.73 rear end. At least I plan on this model if you guys don't pan the truck. All opinions are appreciated.;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Mine is the older stlye but I love it!!

3.73 is the way to go for towing

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3ltr engine 3.73 rear extened cab truck and it has been great so far. I rented a bobcat yesterday and trailered it home to work on my Son's practice track. Since I am planning on buying a bigger trailer I took the oppertunity to try a couple of the big mountains towing the bobcat. I pulled 2 mountains about a mile long with a 6%+ grade hitting the bottom at 55mph in second gear at 3,500 RPM, toppong it also at 55mph and the flat towing was fine. The trailer I was using did not have brakes and this really concerned me, but it stopped better than my old s10 blazer pulling my 6'x12' trailer with our gear and 3 bikes in it. I stopped by a local gravel plant to find out what the actual weight was and my grose weight with the bobcat, trailer and truck, was 13,140lbs 140lbs over the GVWR limit. I am going to weigh the truck this afternoon to see excatlly how much it was towing.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
If you have a 1500 then your GVWR can't be 13000 lbs. You must be thinking GCWR or trailer + truck. That's quite a load without trailer brakes. If your truck was empty then you probably exceeded your trailer rating by quite a bit. My 98 Z71 has a max trailer weight of 6500 pounds with electric brakes and a limit of 1000 lbs without ebrakes. The GVWR is 6200 lbs nomatter what I'm towing, pretty low, so GCWR is 12,700.

Moto1313: the half ton's tow/haul ratings aren't great. But nothing beats the ride of a half ton chevy. My 5.7s mileage is 16s in town and high 18s + on the highway empty. The 5.3 is new in 99 so reliability isn't thoroughly tested yet but you don't hear about the cold start knock with the 5.3 like you do with the 6.0 in the 3/4 tons. Also the 5.3 has more horsepower than the old 5.7 but you need to wind it up to get the hp.

I do enjoy my 98 Z71 quite abit.

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
Things Change

Thanks for all the help, BUT....I just bought an '01 Ford F150 Off Road 4x4 Lariat today instead of the Chevy. The incentives were better and I like the looks of the Ford F150 better. It seems the tow rating and horsepower etc... were about the same between the two and the Ford was actually less money. I got what I consider a pretty sweet deal. Here's to hoping I am not an idiot. I had sworn off Fords years ago, but here I go. Again, thanks for the advice.;)

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
Highbeam,
You are correct I could have sworn I typed GCWR. The GVWR is 6400 lbs.
Anyway I looked up the max trailer weight and it says 8,300lbs for the 1500 w/5.3, extended cab and the Z71 suspension package. And yes you are correct again, the load without trailer brakes was not the funnest thing, I gave allowed a lot of distance for stopping and took my time. However the truck's brakes did a lot better than I would have thought.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The C and the V are right next to each other. Could have happened. It's good news that the trailer weight limit was raised for your chev. I worry about these things not because I don't think the truck can handle it but because I don't want to be at fault in the case of a wreck.

Happy motoring.

P.S. moto1313 did you get ford's optional tailgate heater? It's a nice warm place to sit while you wait for the tow truck to show up!;)

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
Hay Moto1313 :scream: you got me there, I posted my message a couple of minutes after you posted that you got one of those fOrD thingies. The truth is I got interrupted and came back an hour later and submitted my reply. Cheaper yes, better looking SEE THIS I don't think so. Best of luck, you will need it. :p

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
No No-mines nicer

Nice try-mine is WAAAAYYYYY better looking. Seriously though, you have a great looking truck. My only problem with the new Chevy's always was they seem to sit and ride so low. They don't really look like a big 4x4 truck anymore. The 2500 series isn't as bad though. Mine is White with the beige bottom-nerf bars etc... and I think it is really nice looking. BTW-my dad can beat up your dad.;)

Top Bottom