01 CR125 - Building a restrictor plate?

CosmoRx

Jan 26, 2008
Hey guys, my wife has the itch for a dirtbike. My buddy has a beautiful cr125 I can get cheap, this will be her first bike though. Was curious if anyone has any advice on building a restrictor plate to limit power so we can grow with the bike, we were going to get her like a cr150f but I can get this at more than half the price. Any advice is appreciated.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Will the bike fit her? How does she feel about riding? Is she aggressive or more passive? Just like fitting any other to a bike it's about how the bike fits multiple aspects of the rider and cheap doesn't always make a good deal. My wife is perfectly happy riding around on a modified XR80. She's 5' on a good day and is very much a girl so the bike works fine. My son has a CR125 and there is NO WAY that bike would EVER work for her.

CosmoRx

Jan 26, 2008
Shes 5'4. She has ridden sport and mud quads a bit. Not super aggressive but she likes to get down when she wants to. I figured making a plate going between the reeds and intake and jetting appropriately might work.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Maybe tighten the powervalve spring so much that it barely opens unless shes really on it up top? Just a thought, I know my 250 was a dog when the valve wasn't opening due to being overtightened.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Dis-connect the power valve, put 2 power blades in the carb and intake throat, a reducer washer in the exhaust flange, drop the premix to 40 or 50 to 1, and dent the hell out of the pipe, and get the biggest most restrictive silencer you can find? Or, send the top end to Eric Gorr or Pete Payne and have it de-tuned. The jury rig method may work after re-jetting, but who knows? The compression needs to get looser and the port timing altered for the power. If she can ride it at all now, it would seem she may be able to grow into it in stock form? Nobody I know jumped on a 125 race bike and never crashed learning how to ride it! I sure hope it works for you 2. Vintage Bob

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Can't you try to make some kind of a throttle stop like the WR's come with factory? You wouldn't have to worry about jetting then.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
easy way is too limit the throttle travel - lots of ways to do this. Also jetting a 125 richer will take some of the sting out of it. you may also need to use a hotter plug if you do this though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Seems to me the easiest way to limit throttle travel is to not twist it as far. If ya' can't control how far you twist your wrist then maybe you shouldnt be riding the bike.

Lower seat foam? Have her try sitting on the bike without the seat to get an idea, I suspect she will have trouble touching the ground just stting on the subframe.

Having many years of experience, I'd much rather have a happy chick than a b/a chick that is not happy and doesn't want to ride a bike that she is afraid of.

Apr 30, 2007
Patman has a point. I am 5'2" and can only just get one tiptoe on the ground sitting on the bigger frame bikes, sitting just on the subframe with no seat installed.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
It all boils down to her riding ability. In my circle there's a bunch of women that ride 125 2T's and 250 4T's. They all ride at different levels. If your wife has some riding background she may find the 125 a blast to ride. I have a 01 CR125R and compared to the other 125's made in 2001 it is the most tame. Actually (I think) it has the worst powerplant made that model year comapred to blue, green, yellow, and orange. Have either of you rode it yet? Why not take it out in a field and see what it's like? Is she going to be a motocrosser or a trail rider? There are alot of questions you need to ask yourself. BTW, I agree with Foxforks - don't modify the bike yourself. Ask Eric Gorr about any options such as lowering the bike, or tuning the engine, if you are serious about this bike. The 2001 has awesome suspension, and it is a good looking ride!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
crf150f's are cheap! 03-05s for 1000-1300 in good shape and the E starts 06+ starting like 1500 around all the time. Check Craigslist and you may have to drive to get one, but keep searching.

cr125s are cheap also, a few to many owners are way to proud of their asking price on them though.

Oct 8, 2010
Matt90GT said:
crf150f's are cheap! 03-05s for 1000-1300 in good shape and the E starts 06+ starting like 1500 around all the time. Check Craigslist and you may have to drive to get one, but keep searching.

cr125s are cheap also, a few to many owners are way to proud of their asking price on them though.

i guess i got lucky then, i bought my Cr125 for 400$ with a big bore kit too bad it took a dump on my 3rd ride, but its getting fixed by eric gorr hopfully this week :)

Top Bottom