01 Cr250, how do i measure case oil?

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
just picked up a 2001 cr250 and am trying to figure out how to measure case oil? i did a search and found something about a measuring screw, but the screw on the bike that looked like the right one i could not untighten, it doesnt make it any easier that its a phillips head.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
The other method is drain it all out, and put in the amount that is stamped on the side of the engine there, near the oil filler hole.

Probably something like 350-450ml range.

Your manual will tell you as well.

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
i've been reading how everyone tells everybody to get a manual.. Sorry i do not have one yet because i just picked up the bike last night but i will have one soon. The previous owner said the new case oil only has about 2 rides on it so i dont want to have to replace it when i dont have to. So that phillips screw( not the one on the water pump), is indeed the one to measure the case oil? If so i'll have to attempt to get it out more, and use some blaster or something.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
There is probably a screw somewhere on the clutch cover that you take out to check the oil level. I would guess the one you found is the right one as long as it isnt the screw in the bottom of the water pump.

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
Ok i found it, any suggestions on how to get it out? i've slipped with a phillips about 2 times now and thats putting all my might into it. I've also used pb blaster those 2 times and have gotten no luck...What else do you guys recommend? I don't want to keep attempting to get it loose because i dont want to ground the phillips hole. Any suggestions?>

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Well, first make sure you have the right phillips screw driver to fit in the screw.

Then tap the screwdriver with a hammer while you try to turn it.

Or you can have a friend push as hard as possible on the screwdriver while you turn it.

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
In my other form i mentioned that oil was coming out of the overflow line after i stood it up from being tipped over. Does that mean that theres oil in there and ill be fine? (im assuming). Also when i took the black oil plug out i did not see any oil whatsoever even when i tilted the bike, is that normal?

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
There is probably oil in there, but since it is a used bike you never know how long its been in there. I would personally change the oil right away.

CR500pilot

Feb 29, 2000
Its stamped on the case. I don't want to walk out to the garage, but the 850 ml. number sounded right. It wont hurt if its over. I've previously run a quart in my 500 and never had a problem. It helped when riding in extreme conditions for clutch cooling.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Hhhmmm...I guess that they changed the design a little between the 2001 and 2003. On my 2003 CR250R the oil check bolt is directly under the water pump housing. It does have a philips but is also a bolt that you can grab with a socket or wrench. I take it that yours is just a screw?

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
Yes mine is just a screw which sucks! Where is the amount of oil it takes stamped on the Case? Its a canadian bike so it might be different as for as where it tells me how much it takes. I tried looking for it but cannot find any measurements. All i found was the 850cmCubed on the engine and thats it. I need to get the bolt out!

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
On My 01 Cr 250 It Is A 10mm Head Bolt With A Philips Head In The Middle. I Don't Even Bother To Remove It. It Works Out To Be 28oz. Of Oil, Then Add Another 50cc. And Call It Good. I Run A 50/50 Blend Of Honda Gn4 10w40 And Honda Hp Trans Oil Sae 80w/85w. The Transmission On These Were A Little Notchy When New And This Blend Helped With The Shifting. I Hope These Tips Help You.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Do what i do on the phillups bold.. get a paiar of Vise-grips, or a wrench the fits onto the handel of the screwdriver (to twist with it) then get a firend.

Now you but all your weight pishing the head down while your buddy slowley twists, but look at the head of the bolt closley so you dont strip it.

Or if you could use an impact wrence... if you have one

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Once you get the bolt out, measure the length of the threads and get one that has a hex head or a allen head in the same length, or cut one down to length and replace that one.

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
Sorry guys, mine does indeed have a hex head and i just got it out, it was a peice of cake. I must have been too caught up in my new bike that i didnt even realize it had a hex head. Oil is kind of dark thought it was replace 2 rides a go. Also im assuming you measure it while the bike is level?

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
zjcrawler45 said:
Sorry guys, mine does indeed have a hex head and i just got it out, it was a peice of cake. I must have been too caught up in my new bike that i didnt even realize it had a hex head. Oil is kind of dark thought it was replace 2 rides a go. Also im assuming you measure it while the bike is level?

yes, get the bike on a level surface, have a friend hold it or get it on a jack stand. Poor oil in your oil fill hole until it begins to trickle out of the "hex head" bolt hole. then put your bolt and oil cap on and go riding :cool:

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
It's less than a quart of oil man - just change it! I change mine every 5 hours or so.

Top Bottom