01 KDX200 Shift Lever Height

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Please forgive my ignorance regarding this issue but I really would like to hear what you guys say.

I received my riding gear last night (Fox stuff) and was so excited I had to put it all on and go for a late night ride. Well, I had one heck of a time trying to shift with my boots on! It felt like the shifter was way to low and I had to really strain to get my left foot under the shift lever in order to shift! What gives? I missed shifted a ton. Can you adjust the height of the shift lever?

Thanks, SWFG (Short, White, Fat Guy)

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Yes, you can adjust the shift lever height. Remove the pinch bolt then remove the shift lever and replace it in the desired position. Replace and tighten the pinch bolt and you are done.

sas66

Oct 22, 2001
Shifter placement

A good rule of thumb on the shifter height is, bend down beside the bike (shifter side) and I like the shifter slightly above the hight of the top of the foot peg. You will soon get used to the new boots and that could be the major factor in yor trouble shifting. After a little driving the bike your boots will bend in all the right places to make shifting a lot easier. You shifter could also be a little low so just take a look at it, Like I said I like it (the Tip) alittle higher then top of the foot peg. You can use a ruler across the two to judge the height better.

Also it is good to put dubbin on your boots to sofen them up.
Happy and safe riding.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I found that after a few good spills your stock shift lever will be adjusting itself to where it wants to go. :eek:

This may not be where you want it. I have had mush better luck with an aftermarket shift lever (MSR is what i have). Seems to stay put after falls.

Note: I fall a lot.:confused:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I agree with KelvinKDX, the stock shifter is slightly better than the stock sprockets and chain. :eek: Get a good MSR or IMS shifter. I bought one and it lasted the life of my KDX. (bought it new in '94 and just sold it) adjust the lever so you can shift sitting as well as standing, as your boots break in your feet will begin to react differently and you will find yourself wanting to move it again.

ChR1s

Nov 12, 2001
After my wife complained about having trouble shifting, I moved the shifter one spline up. After the new boots she was wearing were broken in, she was having trouble shifting. So I moved the lever back. :)

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
I know this isn't the norm but it works for me. After breaking 3 shifter shafts and countless levers over the last 10 years, I now have my shifter up high. This way it doesn't drag on off-camber sections and when I jump it's out of the way. I kick forward with my foot to up shift.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Be careful with the pinch bolt when you put it back in. It's easy to snap it off if you're of the mind, 'moh tight is moh better.'

..no...I didn't break mine;)

Wallis

Jan 19, 2001
Give yourself time. I recently bought a pair of boots after riding with work boots for about a year. I mis-shifted for several hours before I became comfortable with boots. I would give yourself a little more time to get used to the boots.

john pearce

Nov 7, 2001
SHIFT LEVER

Hi RTL
I have Fox Forma Comp boots, and have had to move ther shift lever up two splines from the standard setting.
My boots are 7 months old now and they don't give, due to the toe area being plastic. So 2 splines is the way to go, or you won't be able to up-shift whilst your tail end is over the fender bag going through those wooooops !! .

have fun
John in Portsmouth England
:D :cool:

Top Bottom