01 KTM 200-new FMF pipe/silencer/jetting?

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Just put an FMF pipe with Power Core II silencer on my 2001 KTM 200 MXC.
I want to make sure I have it jetted right, and can't always tell by running it wide open, killing the engine and then checking jetting by the plug color (some advice on this would be helpful)
I've also installed a V-Force 2 Delta Valve, but was told that will not effect jetting.
Currently I'm running;
180 main (stock is 185...I believe)
45 pilot
stock needle (not sure what factory setting is?)
AmsOil @ 50:1
BR8 EG plug
I live in NW Ohio (midwest region-600 ft elevation)
Do a little indoor riding/racing during cold weather...mainly looking at riding temperatures over 60.
Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated

Thanks-KTMBell

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
You should be OK. Most guys like a single taper needle. The last 200 I did had a 42 pilot, CEJ needle #3 clip, 172-176 Main. Mostly used for tight woods. We were a tad lean up top for WOT riding but it worked great for general moto use too.

The only way to tell for sure is do plug chops (new plug every time) and just see how it feels when you ride it.

Good luck.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
on my 98 250e using the delta 2, I had to drop 2 sizes on the pilot, so you may need to lean as well.

current at 3200 ft and 40 deg
40pilot
CEK-3.5
#7 slide

using C-12 it is still a little fat just off idle.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Thanks for the info...I'll try leaning out the main and pilot one step at a time. I'm not sure I undertand the needle and subtle changes mods can make.
I'll keep an eye on the plug. I understand that it should have a brown/bronz color to it if jetting is correct. Anything white (tool lean) or black and wet (too rich) is not good. Am I correct?
The bike has always run rich, especially with factory bike and spark arrester. Everyone I've spoken with (locally) has told me that the new pipe and silencer will lean out the bike and that I need to jet up. It was at 175 main, and I've moved it up to 180. Clip is at second position (raised clip, lowered needle).
Snow is our weather forcast for the next few months, so getting it out on an open track won't happen anytime soon.
Thanks again,

KTMBell

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
check out this thread on plug reading
jetting help
Good info on plug reading.
The less than full throttle jetting is still jet by feel.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
If you are keeping the stock needle I would first lean out the main jet one step at a time and do wide open runs and then a plug check. I got decent jetting on my 02 with 45 piolet, stock needle lowered one position, and a 172 main. This was was decent jetting but it got better when I finally went to the single taper needle and 182 main. Playing around with it is the only wat to get better at jetting.

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
A 42p made a huge difference on powerband. The Sudco DDK has more mid power than the CEK(2 steps richer than others), less spooge and better range. oem needles are to rich up to 1/4 throttle. Toss the stock needle if you want the best performance.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Socal Scott
Your saying to change stock needle to Sudko DDK in addition to running 42 pilot. Will I still need to lean out main, from the 180 down to say 175-172.
Where to you get your parts/needles at? Matto Cycle list KTM parts on-line for 15% off, any other places to go.
Thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom