01 or 02 Husky TE570 anyone own or ridden one?

Cuz

Feb 19, 2001
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some feedback on the 01 or 02 TE570. I currently ride an XR440 with a ton of other mods (suspension, engine, A-loop, etc.) I really enjoy the XR because of its turning ability and its low-end power right of idle but the TE570 has caught my eye. I am not in any big hurry to get rid of the XR yet but would like to gain some info on a potential future bike. I know there are other bikes out there but I would really like to know about this bike specifically.

WHY A TE570?
My initial impression of the bike is that it would make a good all around bike. A bike that would be at home in the woods of Colorado or on a motocross track or as a Dual Sport. A bike that I would not have to do a whole bunch of modifications to either tame it down or raise it’s ability. A bike that would have all of the smooth controllable power that I would ever need and I wouldn’t be pushing it to its limits like I feel I am with the XR sometimes. I have done a lot of research on the bike and have even talked to two guys that have raced the 570. They both had nothing but good things to say about the bike. They both said that they really didn’t have to change anything on the bike other than handle bars to go race it.
Other reasons for a 570 would be:
- Low-end, old school, controllable 4-stroke power that you can also rev if you want.
- Ergos
- Great suspension.
- Purpose built enduro machine.
- Top shelf componentry, standard.
- 6 speed
- Same weight or lighter than the XR. (Depending on what you read)
- It is a quiet bike with the stock muffler.
- Last, but not least, it looks cool.

WHERE I RIDE:
I ride mostly in Colorado at Rampart and Woodland Park and would love to go to Moab in the near future. I ride the tracks mostly in the winter and do an occasional Hare Scramble. I would also like to try an Enduro or two. So, basically I ride everything from Dual Sport to Motocross. I am not a racer but I can move along at a decent pace. I ride mostly for fun and friendly competition.

SIZE AND WEIGHT:
I am 5’9” and 195 lbs. I could be in better shape but I am working on it.

RIDING STYLE:
I like to use the torque of the bike to go fast. I don’t like to rev a bike all the time or shift all the time to keep the bike in the power band. I try to relax and ride relatively smooth. I am not the slam on the brakes into the corner and then blast out of the corner type of rider although that is fun sometimes. Sometimes I like to ride fast and sometimes I like to cruise and enjoy the scenery.

OTHER BIKES I HAVE RIDDEN:
01 KTM520 – Great bike but didn’t have the torque off idle like mine and it felt much bigger.
01 KTM400 – Same as the 520 only less power.
01 KTM300 – Felt bigger and didn’t have the torque of the bottom and it was a 2 stroke.
99 WR400 – Good power but felt very top heavy and turned slower than the XR.
01 XR650 – Big Red Pig. Just kidding. Good bike just too big, heavy and slow revving.
00 KLX300 – Handled great but not enough power or torque.
These are all great bikes but none had the off idle torque I now enjoy.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:
How does it feel (Size, ergos, etc.) compared to the other bikes or more specifically the XR.
How does it turn compared to the other bikes or my XR.
Does it feel heavy or top heavy?
What are the power characteristics like?
How does it handle in tight trail conditions.
Overall impressions of the bike. (Quality, Performance, Reliability, etc.)
Pros and Cons, Likes and Dislikes, Odds and Sods, (for any ‘stralians) etc.
Am I crazy for even considering this bike?
Anything else you can think of.

Thanks for your help and sorry this is so long,
Cuz

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
I do not own a te570 (yet?), but have ridden a 570 and have experience with Husky 4-strokes. You ahve obviously thought alot about this asked asked some good questions. The TE570 is very high on my list as well, mainly due to reliability.
Size: The bike is large (tall, long). Perfect for me at 6'1". The bike is narrow (the newer bodywork is execellent).
Handling: To me it turned very well, but not xr400 quick. The bike is not top heavy, the weight is carried very well. Handling is very good for a big-bore stroker.
Power: LOTS. The 570 has a lot of power and it revs fairly quickly.
Bottom line: The te570 is really is a class all it's own. It has an awesome motor, a stable (but responsive) chassis, is proven on the world enduro scene (over and over and over) and is reliable as anything else made.

Cuz

Feb 19, 2001
Thanks for the input tm-enduro.

I have thought about it a lot and I keep coming back to the TE570. I have heard (from the people that have actually raced the 570) that the bike is very reliable and fast but at the same time controllable. To me it seems like the ultimate do everything high performance bike. I don't really care that it is supposed to be the fastest bike out of the box or what ever they say. Having just said that it would sure be nice to open it once in a while in the open. I also don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a new bike and then spend a bunch more modifying it.

The racers that I talked to said they never had any issues with the bike even after a full racing season. I know that I will not be able to ride the bike as hard they did so I figure that it should hold up very nicely for me.

tm-enduro, how much time have you spent on the bike and what sort of terrain did you ride it in? I have also heard that it makes really good power right off idle. Is that true?

Thanks again,
Cuz

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
I have spent very little time on the 570. I have ridden the 400/410 and 610 quite a bit for reference. I can tell you that I liked the 570 alot better. The terrain that I rde it in was tight rocky trails with roots. The power is strong everwhere and revs much faster than previous Husky's. Fourth and 5th gear wheelies at partial throttle openings are possible. The bike is good for tight for tight trails, but also works well at speed (perfect ISDE bike). For racing a 400cc bike is probably easier to ride fast, but big-bore strokers are virtually impossible to wear out or break.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I have also ridden a 01 te570 briefly, on tight single track. I was half expecting a piggy, or a twitchy open class 2 stroke type thing. Of course it's neither. I found it handled amazingly well in tight stuff, and it didn't feel any (ok, much) heavier than my 250.

I wouldn't say it's a high rev machine though. I guess it's similar to an xr in that respect, although I haven't ridden an xr in ages.

It does vibrate at higer revs. I think the vibration was the main thing that made me decide when to change gears :).

As far as potential, I know they can win at the highest level. Considering how many are sold, they may be the winningest bike around :).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom