justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Well after getting home and getting everything unloaded I began thinking of the last few days. Due to consistent bike problems I was able to run 1 lap on the poker run course, 1 lap on the mx track and 2 on the HS course. Although DW02 was closer to home for me and I knew more people this year I think I might've enjoyed DW01 more.
Maybe the constant bike problems and not riding as much as I would've liked, my having to leave and return home twice during the week. or too high expectations........I don't mean to imply that I didn't enjoy myself. I had a good time. Too many cool people for it not to be. just curious if any one else had the same thoughts.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Well Justin, I didn't go to DW01 so nothing can top DW02... :yeehaw:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have mixed feelings on it. last year, i got to ride the whole time. this year i was injured and unable to ride but since it was so close, my daughter got to come and ride. she had a wonderful time. i got to meet cool people both times.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
Well Justin, I didn't go to DW01 so nothing can top DW02... :yeehaw:

Ditto ... I'm already in planning mode for 03 ..... we have to get our meals planned better. I, for one, brought a bunch of stuff that I didn't eat, and it wasn't likre I went hungry ....

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I gotta go with '02. I had a FREAKIN' BLAST! Stillwater is a great town to hang out in. '01 was a good time, too, but I have to gve '02 the nod just because it was at Cooperland.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
JP- It did seem that we had more people going to town, buying bikes, eating, etc, we also had several people fly in to DW this year. Stillwater is definetly a hopin place.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I stopped to eat on my way out of town and to get gas. Both places asked me what was going on. All the bright moto clothes were seen in Stillwater this week and people noticed.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
All 3 have been awesome and they just keep getting better but I gotta go with DW02. Because of the more central location I got to hang out with my friends from Cali. Stillwater also has more available (for idiots like me who take off for DW without shoes!) the camping area is larger and Brownie is an excellent host. What an unbelievable worker that guy is.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
:aj: Oh yeah I had a great time, took some pretty good pics and need to know how and whom to send them to? As soon as I find out when & where DW03 is I already have a week of vacation set aside. Bswift I still have that smile on my face from riding your 450F and to top that off sitting on my table as soon as I walked in was the Nov. issue of DR with their blessing on the 450F, man is that a sign or what!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
lots of plusses and minuses to both. I have ideas on how this years could have been better, but I will keep them to myself lest I sound like a complainer. It was awesome!

I will say that I have a concern that DW will eventually become "too big". Last year was cozy, this year was bigger but still ok. I think if (when) it gets much bigger it will become more difficult to manage. And no, I haven't come up with bright ideas on how to limit it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No comparison! DW'02 was WAAAAAAAY better and DW'01 was AWESOME. The Heartland Spodes just went above and beyond the call to make sure that everything was perfect. Brownie had the whole place in tip top shape. Having the kids track available was a HUGE plus. Even though it was open to everyone it was mostly the habitat of those under 5' tall. This may not seem like a big deal but as a parent it was nice to be able to have your kid in a contained area that they could ride in (there is just something about throwing the little ones out with big bikes that I don't like). The big track ROCKED!!! I'm sorry but LTM just isn't anywhere near this gem. I never made it to the woods but I heard numerous comments about it being much better this year. Stillwater itself was better because it had closer medical facilities, more hotels and necessary shops. There was a ton more room for all the campers and no trains! I was a little disappointed at the lack of a place to set up the fun trial sections but, was informed Guy was going to show Browie some places for that and even more trails which is very cool. The down side was that with more people you don't get to see everyone. That is not a function of location but just how popular DW is getting, our rough guess is 300 people including riders and non-riders. Okie, Thump and I were talking Saturday night and are almost sure DW'03 could be close to 500 people, personally I think if we hit that we'll need to set a cap based upon reasonable usage of the facility and just have to turn people away if they don't get in on time.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I ran off and left all my civvies lying on my couch. If DW had been at Casey, I would have been screwed. Old Navy saved the day. :cool:

Brownie is an amazing guy. I talked to him for a few minutes during one of the MX classes, and he's very articulate and mature as well. He's fast, too.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Patman
Having the kids track available was a HUGE plus. Even though it was open to everyone it was mostly the habitat of those under 5' tall.
I liked the fact that I could sit at my camp & see the "kids" track which gave my kid the opportunity to have some space with her friends without dad having to be right over her.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I thought DW02 was better. The MX track was better, the woods were better, the camping was better.

I really like the facility. If I had been there longer, I'm sure that I would've ridden the 500 with Bundy and those Michigan guys.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I would like to see Brownie drop some electricity down there if we do it there next year. I would prefer to spend the extra money to pay for ele hook up than spend it on gas for the generator.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Jeff, we know what you are REALLY up to...you just want more power for the Dirt Week band...by the way, what is the name of the band?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
Jeff, we know what you are REALLY up to...you just want more power for the Dirt Week band...by the way, what is the name of the band?
lol... I think I heard somebody call us the Dirt Bag Band (appropriately named)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
DW02 by a long shot! As soon as Lou emails me a certain picture, I'll show you why. :yeehaw:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
'02 WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!

Yes... I think Red and I might go as far as saying Friday and Saturday of '02 was probably the best 2-day trip of our lives. Yes... it was that awesome and then some!! :thumb:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
DW02
Great woods :thumb:
Gp track, Lots of fun
Fantastic MX track, fun and ridable for the average spode
Trains at night :think:

DW03
Brownie is the best host possible. :worship:
Heartland spode hospitality, the big top, the shower :worship:
The track was intimitating for many of us typical spodes.
Watching Doug Dubach and Billy mix it up was as cool as it gets.
Great woods track
Kids track big plus

Both are great locations and I will go back to either one mostly because of the people, the facilities are just a plus. :)

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
All i can say is that it keeps getting better every year. :thumb:

Thanks Okie & clan for putting this thing together.

Brownie has an impressive facility and i would probably vote to have it at Cooperland again when the voting time comes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom