01 RM125 Crank and Water Seal (pics)

GBenzz

Sep 5, 2006
Hey guys I just drained my coolant and it was grey and milky and I notice my coolant has dropped some. Possibly a bad water pump seal. But looking at it seems fine, how will i know if its bad or not?

And I also been having spooge issues with correct jetting and fuel mixture so I might be gettin tranny oil sucked into my top end. Possible a bad crank seal. Do i have to take off the bearing to get to the seal? And do i have to split the case? :think: Any help ASAP would be appreciated.

Last edited:

GBenzz

Sep 5, 2006
Heres a pic of Water Seal...

0905071034a.jpg

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
you just need to take the side cover off to get to the water pump seal.

And in that pic, that's not the crank shaft. that's the input shaft of the trans. The crank shaft is a bit forward of that, directly under the piston..

Get a service manual.

GBenzz

Sep 5, 2006
sorry wrong pic, here is the crank seal

0906071116.jpg

The seal looks fine, its hard to tell if its leaking...when i pop it off will there be any signs of leakage?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I wouldn't remove the seal to diagnose a spooge issue..

There are so many other factors that will play a part in your engine producing spooge..

Did you do a leak down test ? Are you losing a noticeable amount of oil from your trans? How does the cylinder look? Are there other signs in the crank case of oil leaking past the crank seal?

Are you using crap gas? Are you using crap 2 stroke oil?

Are you sure the jetting is perfect? How?

All of those can contribute to spooge. I'd consider the crank seal the very last option.

GBenzz

Sep 5, 2006
Yes this is my last option. I had another thread on my spooge issues. Ive tried it all. The bike pulls strong but it just spooges out where the pipe meets the silencer. I hope i can figure this out its a pain in the ass. :bang:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
All my 250's spooged at this connector. A little simple green when pressure washing it is all it requires. I love spooge, it's a 2 smoker's signature.

GBenzz

Sep 5, 2006
I have to eliminate this issue because when its at full throttle it bogs also. Which can be due to rich mixture of the tranny oil sucked in. Spooge all over your swingarm is really not neccessary, I hate it.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
Sounds to me like your main jet is rich.

Ditto. When seal is bad you should notice a drop in transmission fluid and it often causes fouled plugs and other issues. Not saying you don't have problems with seal, just that it sounds like too rich main.

GBenzz

Sep 5, 2006
Check out what i just found in my gears..

0908071146.jpg

0908071147.jpg

0908071147a.jpg

Its a grey plastic piece but i dont know where the hell it came from. Anyone know if its a foreign object or something from the engine?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's so blurry, no one can possibly make out what it is from those pictures.

TIP: If you have to describe it as "a grey plastic piece", cause you can't even make out what it is in your pics, you might as well not post the pics.

Looks to me like you need to take some things apart and find out if there's something broken in that thing.

I wouldn't ride that bike until I was 100% certain I knew where that piece came from, and that it was either fixed, or you had ruled out that it came from inside the engine somewhere.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The only thing that big is the water pump impeller,I do not believe that is possible to get in there though. Foreign object for ten Gary! O,and how come the seemingly earlier pics have the kickstarter removed and the latter back in???

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
Use the Macro mode on your camera when taking close up pictures.
Even when using the macro mode, I often still had pictures out of focus because the camera was focusing on something other than what I was. A handy trick is to take a piece of paper with some typing on it. Place the paper at the same distance from the camera as your intended subject. Press the 'shutter' half way down to set the focus on the paper. Because it's a flat plane, the camera will correctly set the focus and the typing will make it easier to verify it. Continue to hold the button half-way and move to your intended subject. Fully depress the button and take the shot. As long as the distances were equal, and you didn't blur it with movement, the picture will be in focus. Keep in mind that the camera will also set the exposure based on the paper so your intended subject needs to be well lit.

Regarding the OP, you can't tell if a seal is bad by looking at it. If your oil is milky and you're loosing coolant, your water pump seal is bad. They're cheap and easy to replace. While it's possible, I doubt your main seal is leaking. If you end up splitting the cases to investigate the mysterious plastic, I'd go ahead and replace the main seals while it was apart, but otherwise I'd skip it for now. Once the water pump seal is replaced, I'd keep an eye on the trans oil to see if it was dropping.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom