01 tech tips and info

phastphill

Sep 4, 2002
I just bought a 01 220 from a friend, bike was won last year in the Kawasaki trail ride series here in Ontario. Last kdx I had was an 98 200.I have been back riding trials the last few years so could use some tips and up date. Bike has proaction suspension, front springs are .45 km/mm, rear has 3 stage system. Boyesen reeds, fmf gnarly pipe, stock silencer, and a wer steering damper. Where to from here? I t ied the tubes on the carb cause the old 89 needed that, and loctited the kickstarter. I'm too damn close to 200 lbs and USED TO BE an experet, springs seem ok and rear sack is bout 90mm with no gear or bum bag on. Ideas...? oil etc..?Thanks....cheers...Phil

phastphill

Sep 4, 2002
An I can't spell or type worth a damn....last kdx was an 89 2oo...actuallywas a good bike rode the 6 days of Michigan on it twice and won a couple of prov championships with it. Is it easer to service the Kips on the new bike? Hope so

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Before your post moves onto page 2, I'll reply.
I was thinking, there's no difference between a 98 & 01, but 89 & 01, lol, yip, there is.
Oil - 650ml is recommended, but a lot of people use about a quart which quietens the bike down (I just change the oil often, so use 650-700ml).
The kickstarter wears out pretty quick, but can be welded back in place (I'm having my original done at the moment, as my 1yo one is wearing out already) - not sure of exactly what is being done, but I know the guy who's doing it knows what he's doing (either that or he can find his own way to the next ride lol).

Check out the kdx pages for mods to be done - airbox for one.
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/
Good luck & hope you enjoy the kdx - you'll no doubt find your trials skills help (with any bike) :)
Michelle

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…