brandolph

Oct 7, 2002
We've got a local TM dealer up here that's been sitting on one of these for a year and a half or so. He sold it to a local guy new in the spring of '02 and took it back on trade for a Pampera a couple months later.
The things essentially cherry-original rear tire still has lots of life left on it and there's basically not a scratch on the bike. And it comes with a computer, carbon pipe gaurd and a few more goodies too.
He's wanted five grand for it since he took it in but told me yesterday he'd sell it for four.

Any input on TM's is greatly appreciated!! I don't know anything about their reputations. Lot's of KTM's up north here but I've yet to see a TM in the woods.

thanks all!!!

dhaskell

Jan 21, 2004
Well, just a couple months ago I went through the same decision you are making; I bought a slightly used '99 TM 300E. It moved from dealer to dealer for a couple years because no one new what it was. I did a little research and desided it was worth a shot at owning a TM. So far, I've very glad I did. The bike is phenominal in the woods. I ride tight single track and the bike is 'magic'! Turns out there are dealers that stock just about all the parts here in the US. Pistons are hard to get right now for the 300, and WAY expensive if you can find one. Other than that I've found everything I wanted on a shelf somewhere. Coppersmith in Ohio has helped me a lot.

Here's what it boils down to for me; if you don't mind being the only guy in your State with the bike you are riding and are good at sourcing parts on-line and can afford to sit on the bike for a long time when it comes time to sell then go for it!

D

kboy

Oct 7, 2003
I've owned 5 TM's in the past, 125s and 250s 2strokes. All in all I've been happy about them. One of the nice stand-out issues on the 250/300's is the gearbox durability! they never fail, can't tell if it shifts worse or better than others, but they last very very good. So does the rest of the bike. The linkage bearing sealings is O-rings instead of seals, they let no dirt in at all!, nice. One thing you'll get to notice is the sealing of cylinder/pipe, it always leaks a little black trace running down the cases. But it's no big deal, just renew the O-rings often. They're nice bikes.
But I changed to Husky by the way, because I wanted a 4stroke (TC450), and I found the new 450 a good bike. So far It's very good!

robbaker450

Jun 29, 2003
TM excellent machines

I would have got a new 300 if i could have sold my yz450.Had to trade it in because nobody wanted it.Got a new 04 kx 250 which is just as good as the tm but in 2 years time the kx will be sloppy and the tm will still be as tight as the day it was made.I .have ridden a few tm and those OHLINS forks are the best you can get

brandolph

Oct 7, 2002
Thanks for the info guys.

One thing I failed to mention is it had a leaking countershaft seal that still leaks even after the dealer replaced it. Seems a bit strange-definately have to get that ironed out before I buy it.
Could this be a common problem for these bikes?
Also I talked to a guy that test road it last summer and he said it seemed to vibrate a lot. He's a bit of a dipstick though.
I just have to wait for the damn snow to melt so I can take it for a spin.
And unfortunately it doesn't have Ohlins forks. Comes with an Ohlins shock and Palini?? forks.

thanks again

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
Vibrate? That lets you know the piston is going up and down. Nothing like open class motor vibes!

The TM or GasGas 300s would be my second bike of choice for those nice singletrack rides. Beautiful bikes they are.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I got to take a ride on a TM300E that had the Paioli inverted front forks. They were set up for a 250+- pound rider, so they were a little harsh for me. FWIW, my CR has Paioli conventional forks revalved by Factory Connection. If FC can make the inverted Paiolis work as well as my conventional ones, it would be money well spent to get a revalve.

The 300E I rode was a real powerhouse. For the icy woods we were riding that day, it was a hanful. Strong running bike, and absolutely beautiful to look at.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Fast...good handlers....but power delivery is orientated more towards an experienced rider....they hit pretty hard. The top end speed is impressive for a smoker.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Robbaker450, Just asking - Why did you switch back to 2-stroke from 4-stroke? I may be switching back after a year on a 4-stroke and just looking for feedback.

Sorry to walk on the TM300 post. I do know that a guy in our Enduro club rides one and it's the trickest bike out there. He's big and it pulls him pretty good too.

Top Bottom