MaxxRonin

Mar 11, 2008
i bought this bike 3 years ago, and this will be my 4th season riding. She has treated me great, but i went riding over winter break about a month ago and noticed that when the bike wasn't running she would roll fine in neutral like any bike should, but when i pulled in the clutch and clicked it down or up a gear, she wouldnt roll, it felt like the clutch was still engaged. i tried adjusting my clutch cable to make it tighter, but it would just disengage the clutch completely. Any ideas? i was thinking i might need new clutch plates? She still runs great but i'd like to brainstorm some ideas before i take her out next week because i'd hate to burn my clutch. Do you think it is a problem to ride like it is? She shifts fine when running. thanks for the help

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
This is a common thing.

When did you change the transmission oil and what did you use?
Clean oil will help and going to a lighter weight synthetic might also help.

Does it change any when the bike gets warmed up?

It is okay to ride the bike the way it is, although it might get annoying. You may find it very difficult to start the bike in gear with the clutch drag like that.

To fix the problem you will probably have to repalce the clutch plates and perhaps the clutch basket.

Rod

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Sounds like the old dirt guy is pointing you in the right direction. Depending on viscosity @ temperature of the clutch oil you'll drag, especially if your winter ride was cold at start-up. I do suggest you change/inspect your oil just to make sure a water leak isn't the culprit behind viscosity increase. Be careful changing oil viscosities... IMO I'd rather drag when cold than slip when hot...

When warming your bike up on cold ride days do it with the bike in gear and brakes on hard... this will throw some heat in the clutch and thin out the viscosity and you'll be good to go.

MaxxRonin

Mar 11, 2008
thanks guys, come to think of it, when it was cold i couldnt start it in gear but as the ride continued, if i stalled out or took a short break i could hop on and kick and she'd be good to go. now that the weather is warming up i wont worry about changing viscosity but i will take a look at the plates/basket when i get a chance.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I have a 2000 Yz 125. It takes no time to take that clutch apart and have a look, I suggest you do that. Also Check your oil. I have a Crank seal that needs replacing and it kept stealing oil resulting in extra heat and slippage. But right now best thing to do is take that sucker apart.

Top Bottom