'01 YZ 426F - Woods, Enduro ? Too much ?

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
I am a c rider in the AZ desert. I have ridden a 98YZ400 for a couple of years. It was fantastic (till it blew up again). For the slow tight stuff just gear it down, and soften up the clickers and life was good.
I do not think you can have too much power in the west (thats why I opted for a KTM 520 now).
The YZ can be tuned for very good low and mid power delivery. My 400 had a 13.5 to 1 420 kit, and a big gun pipe. This gave it great low and mid power, but it would kind of go flat on top, way at the top. The good low and mid power made trail riding easy. I have ridden smaller bikes and many 2 strokes, and find the big 4 strokes much easier to ride. The powerband is everywhere, so concentrating on keeping the revs in the power is not a concern.
As for starting, it can be a pain. On the trail, or at the truck is always easy. When the adrenaline is running, and the race clock is ticking, I usually forget the drill and kill myself trying to start the thing. 5 min of kicking takes as much out of me as 30 min of racing. Learn the drill, stay calm and youll love the bike.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Do it!

Great advice from azcourt. Be patient, you'll never have a problem starting the beast. It gets a bit unnerving when you have to start it quick, and that usually costs you a few places in the pack, but stay calm, fire it up, and hang on. You wont be in back for long.
:) Enjoy!

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
This might get me blasted, but here goes. If you are an aggressive rider, the YZ426 will be a great bike. If you don't ride on the gas alot, you will be penalized on the YZ426. If you install a weighted flywheel and gear it down you will probably be compensated by a somewhat useable power(mellower). For wide open, on the throttle, jammin, the 426YZ is a blast. If you are going to trail ride the bike very much, you will then want to civilize the bike and I think it will then be much more applicable to your style. The YZ426 can, in the right hands be a very proficient trail bike. On the flip side, in the hands of a less talented rider, the bike will be a handful, and make a potentially fun day of riding a real pain. I think a person has to be honest with ones self, and carefully analize his riding ability, then make the appropriate(if that is possible) decision. I am not saying you can not ride the YZ and do well on it. There are many opinions in this thread that give very good advice. You should be more confused now than ever. :think If you get the bike, there are things that can be done to make it fit you, and at the right price that is all that matters. Have fun and good luck.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
it's pretty much all been said, but i ride tight ravine woods,plus the other stuf,trails,corn fields and put around my back yard. i've uncorked the exhaust cleared the airbox,cut the grey wire. this bike is the most predictable bike i've riden, the power makes up for the lack of my riding ability and corrects alot of my mistakes. i don't mind fighting it in tight stuf, i'm 5'8" and 190lbs, benched 405 last christmass on a bulk up cycle, but i've found that a little gas'll break the rear end and get around tight stuf. do it! biggers better:cool:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks to everyone for all the great input ... after all this feedback and after riding some more bikes I've decided to go 2-stroke. Since the only racing I intend to do is enduro, it justs seems to make sense to me that potentially difficult starting and weight issues just don't sound too fun when I'm struggling to make the next check.

I only weigh 160 lbs. and am not particularly strong. I have a feeling the 426 would eat me alive.

I got to ride both a KTM 200 M/XC and Gas Gas EC/XC 300 recently. These bikes were so easy to start (since I'm not used to having to use the clutch on my XR, I was stalling going into turns quite a bit - however, I could bump start without even stopping - sheer momentum was enough to fire them right back up). Also, the light weight and handling were very confidence inspiring. I think for my size and strength these bikes would be more appropriate than the 426. I was much faster on them than on my XR (and the GasGas was even setup for a 220 lb. rider - boy was I sore after that ride !)

So, I hate to spoil the Thumper milk, but now I gotta figure out whether I'm gonna buy a '97 or '98 big four Japanese 250 2-stroke (to get the green sticker), or get a newer "Eur-endur-o" 2-stroke (complicated by the decision between 200, 250 or 300) and just SCREW THE STICKER ISSUE !!!!!

Back to square one ... a little further down the path.

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
don't sweat it dude, it's all about riding and having fun. the first guy that says otherwise......well momma didn't breast feed 'him:confused:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by the Eel
I only weigh 160 lbs. and am not particularly strong.

:think Don't let his line fool ya, guys: he gets wows from motogals; seems to attract attention wherever he goes...:D

gotta figure out whether I'm gonna buy a '97 or '98 big four Japanese 250 2-stroke (to get the green sticker), or get a newer "Eur-endur-o" 2-stroke (complicated by the decision between 200, 250 or 300) and just SCREW THE STICKER ISSUE !!!!! Back to square one ... a little further down the path.

You shouldn't have a problem finding an MX-something in SoCa; look for one w/lo hours on it.

Green/red? You'll fare well either way, tho the VIN #'s your clue, *not* what type o' sticker the seller has @ the moment.

200 vs 250 vs 300? GG, I take it...now that's a hard one to answer...

BTW, U didn't tell us - other than being able to go faster on them - how ya liked the fit, power, bal bla bla, on the m/xc & GG.

On another note, a willing soul such as yours is needed to break in my 250's new top end come late September's Jawbone Classic; I'll be busy manning the family video camcorder. Game?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000

I gotta figure out whether I'm gonna buy a '97 or '98 big four Japanese 250 2-stroke (to get the green sticker), or get a newer "Eur-endur-o" 2-stroke (complicated by the decision between 200, 250 or 300) and just SCREW THE STICKER ISSUE !!!!!

Back to square one ... a little further down the path.

I here you loud and clear! If you go 2 stroke the ktm 300 is hard to beat for an all around bike, it's got my vote. Of course I'm used to a XR600 So the power is close.

As for not going with a 4 stroke, before you write them off all together as they are getting faster and lighter, have you ridden the ktm 400, or 520, light as a 2 stroke yet love that 4 stroke power.

As for me I just picked up a KLX340 (cust. engine est. @ 42 hp) to get a light wieght 4 stroke, with some power, on a budget. even if you got a stock 300 and did just a couple of mods it'd be good. Perimeter MX frame and all. I just didn't want to be left out of the semi street legal only rides. good luck:cool:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
There goes last PlaceLast again talking about these imaginary motogals who dig me so much ... when you see 'em let me know - I could use some attention along those lines !!

Anyway, both the GG 300 and KTM M/XC were great bikes (here we go ... off topic)

It's hard to compare because one was setup for a 220 pounder, and said 220 pounder is also a Jawbone regular, so obviously said bike has been put through its paces. On the other hand the KTM was spotless. Hence, it's not really not significant, fair, or important to compare them in this area. The GG hit less and was definitely more luggable - it handled great but did not feel as sharp as the KTM - maybe because of the different frame sizes. The KTM had a bit of a hit and obviously felt better suspended solely based on my weight. I'd say the KTM would be better for a smaller rider, or for someone who really needs to feel the visceral thrill of a small framed explosive bike. On the other hand, while the GG is by no means heavy, a bigger rider might be better able to manhandle it since the frame is larger than the ktm. The GG is also probably better suited to more open riding and for hill climbing. Both were great in the woods (I got to ride them on some awesome woods trails at Kennedy Meadows).

I'd say you could buy either in a heartbeat and totally fall in love. I have heard that the GG is less xpensive to maintain. I was also told that 2000 was a watershed year for GasGas and that the 2000 and up models are superior to the pre-2000's in several significant ways. From what I've seen on the net, the GasGas list is about $500 to $600 higher (when comparing 200's).

The dealer who was selling the 426's at such a low price is Yamaha of North Hollywood.

I think what I'm gonna do is get a '97 or '98 KX 250, get Eric Gorr to port it, slap on an IMS 4.7 gallon tank, and add a flywheel weight.

I am selling the XR 250 so if anyone's interested let me know.

Also, anyone have any comments on the '97 or '98 KX 250 ? Reliablility ?
(This post is sure to get moved now ... :) )

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
wow scar tissue,hate to sound like a cherry here, but gettin' a custom built bike deliverd.ie klx 340,has gotta be swa-weet.and mr Eel,where in the world do you ride,or rate to be able to ride all those bikes.jeez... this hot dog stand is just not turning out like i'd imagined it:D

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I can only comment on what magazines and owners have said about their '97, '98 KX250's, since I've never owned one.

The '98 KX250 was named bike of the year by a mag. that will go unnamed here, so I would have sold my '97 CR250 (back then) and went green if it weren't for the "no green" sticker issue that came up at the time. If I had known that I would get a green sticker anyway, I would have bought the bike.

One rider I that used to bang bars with had '98 YZ400F and a '98 KX250, and brought both bikes to the track with him. In the end, he preferred the KX over the YZF, so the blue bike was left sitting as a spare. This guy was a cop, so every time we had an on track encounter, he wanted to write me a ticket. He claimed the KX was "magic", and I couldn't argue, because I could rarely keep up with him when he was on the green bike. If Tony W. is lurking out there somewhere, maybe he can recall this guy's name? The '98 KX wasn't much different than the '97 (those bikes were fast). Durability? I guess actual owners would have to comment.

As far as pulling motochicks goes, TTR Guy better watch out for the Eel. ;)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Yeah - I have read and heard that around '97 or '98 the KX 250 was a bike of the year. I've read that the '97 has a very strong low-end - which "wood" seem better suited to off-roading. The KX's I hear are generally stronger on low-end than the other MXers, which appeals to me. I also hear they are a little softer suspension wise and that seems like a plus for enduro or pure off-roading (plus I like softer suspension and the seats are cushy also).

The prices are right for these years - around $2,900 to $3,500. I figure I can spend that and sink in an extra few hundred bucks and have a light, powerful, well-suspended, green-stickered race bike that will be enjoybale to trail ride.

Unfortunately, people have told me that they're not particularly bullet-proof ... that makes me hesitate slightly.

Last edited:

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
KX or 426

If you had a choice of a 99 or 2000 kx 250 for$3300 or a 01 426 for$ 4000 (used)or 99 ktm 300mx $3300 what would you choose???? thats prety much what Iv' narrowed it down to
thanks
DOUG

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'd go '99 KTM 300 M/XC - since they're all red sticker that would be a non-issue. The KTM would be very versatile and pretty light, and I'm fairly sure it would have a big tank. I would think $3,300 is a steal if it's in good shape.

By the way - does anyone know if any of the '98 race bikes were manufactured early enough to be legal green-sticker ? If so, I'll start looking at the '98s a bit harder.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
By the way - does anyone know if any of the '98 race bikes were manufactured early enough to be legal green-sticker ? If so, I'll start looking at the '98s a bit harder.

The '98 KX250 may be a better choice than the '97 as the former came with a power jet carb - enough extra electrical power to run a headlight. In '99 they went to a thinner seat and the side panels caught on the upper edge of the boot gaitor, some complained.

A guy I know had a '97 without major problems; raced it 2x/month for 4 years. Most KX complaints center around the poor footpeg hardware/mounting & other misc. items. Terry Cable, Ty's dad, came up with several fixes for those small, nagging things.

The (old design) '98 RMX250 was still green sticker-able (my '97 is); many of the '98/'99 KTMs & Gas Gas bikes were VINed favorably. Most (asian) post '97 and some '97 MX bikes are only red stickerable, but then again, reds are OK most of the year, year 'round on Kennedy Meadows.

The enduro fourm may be a good place to take up the KX (or other MXer conversion) off-road question.

PS: it be nice to find one with a wide-ratio (IMS, Moose) conversion, which is another reason why I settled on what I ended up with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom