stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
Hi, I have a 2001 yz125 (100% stock at the moment) that I would like to make "woods-friendly."

I don't race, don't have good access to an MX track, and just ride around my fields, woods, etc.

A few times a summer I take my bike to our cabin where there are TONS of ORV trials, with really nice woods trails (some can be sandy though...but not too bad).

So I'm thinking an overall/good-in-most-cases kind of bike, with a slight lean towards woods riding would be the direction I go.

The only problem area I've encountered so far is that some trails I ride have very steep, curvy, and sandy climbs. The bike can handle them, but if I have to start from stopped or super slow, I find myself crossing my fingers on the way up :laugh:

I was thinking a little more low-end would help?

Stock sprocket sizes are 13/48.

I was thinking about going 13/51.

I'm not the fastest rider, and with the curviness, tightness, and constant in-and-out between trees of these trails, I never get to 4th gear, and spend most of my time in and out of 2nd and 3rd.

Even though the new gearing would mean more shifting, I think the increased acceleration might get me to the next corner faster, and actually make for even less shifting. Whether that will be good or bad, I don't know - so I'm just looking for some advice :)

Thanks for all the help in advance!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
13-50 or 13-51 should you a little lower 1st and not hurt the top speed too badly. You may need to shift more because the gears will effectively be spaced closer together. Or you may need to shift less, because you may find that a corner that used to require 2nd and then bang to 3rd on the striaght will now just be 3rd the whole way.

Where do you ride in Michigan? I grew up and lived there until about a year ago.

stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
adam728 said:
Where do you ride in Michigan? I grew up and lived there until about a year ago.

The trails I visit are near Mesick/Traverse City; I think they are called Butler and Lincoln Hills.

How is the riding in Arizona? Going from sandy/woodsy to desert-like would be an interesting change, I think.

Thanks for the info! I think I will go with 13/151.

Do you think that will require a larger chain (114 instead of 112)?

Thanks again :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Where does your wheel sit in the swingarm? If it's all of the way forward, maybe. If it's all mid-way or even a little aft, probably not.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Going up 3 teeth will definitely require a longer chain. I used to swap sprokets around quite a bit on my KDX, changing 2 teeth in the rear depending on the trails I would be riding. There was barely, and I mean BARELY enough adjustment to pull it off.

I grew up on the opposite side of the state, Oscoda. Spent all my time on Old State House trail, Muskrat Lake trail, Leota, Bull Gap, Rose City, Big Bear Lake, etc. It's a HUGE change coming out here, the biggest is learning to ride rocks. And I'm not talking rocks like that one hill at Rose City, I'm talking rocks stacked on top of rocks next to rocks with all of it covered in loose rocks. Big adjustment getting used to that! But it's made me a 5 time better rider. I really miss riding in the woods though. Did a race a few weeks ago, my best section by far was the one that got into the wooded and heavily overgrown area along a wash. It felt like home to me, and these AZ guys just all seemed to put the brakes on there!

Top Bottom