'02 200 E/XC throttle keeps sticking

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i have a problem. weekend before last my throttle stuck open on me one time. well saturday me and my buddy tore apart the carb, replaced the jets and checked everything out to see what could be doing it, and found nothing. well sunday i went out and it stuck open on my 4 times. I don't think it is in the throttle tube because it's not sticking there, but the grip has come loose ( don't know it that is a factor). has anyone had this prob. w/ a KTM before and would know what i need to look for? thanks in advance

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
well i dont know about the 200 ex/c but the throtle was sticking once on my yz125 so here is what i did. Take apart the throttle assemble fully. Take the throttle cable and stretch it to its fullest extent and then let it go. If it doesnt snap back then the problem is not in the throttle assembly. If is does snap back then you probably have a problem w/ the throttle assembly somewhere. Just search you will find the problem!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Check the return spring thats sits in the slide-if its not seated it will snag on the slide and stop it returning.Also check the throttle cable when turning the handle bars from one side to the other, to ensure the cable isnt catching on the bars.If the cable is routed on the wrong side of the numberplate locating screw it will cause problems.

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
I had the stuck throttle problem during a race a few weeks ago. The throttle had stuck once before when I first got the bike. The cable was hanging up on the little sleeve that comes out the top of the carb. I safety-wired the cable down into the sleeve. No problems after that. I removed the safety wire this past week while working on the bike and neglected to replace it.

After a little searching I have found this is not an unheard of on KTMs. Causes are most often one of the following:

1. the white retainer for the slide spring is installed incorrectly
2. dust/grit up the carb vent tubes or through fuel line causing stuck slide
3. Cable is a little too short. Especially common after installing taller bars and/or steering damper.

Fixes are make sure retainer installed properly. Use fuel vent to try to keep grit out of carb. One of the most common fixes is a CR throttle cable which is slightly longer. Motion Pro makes such a cable, part # mp02-247. Many route cable under the frame backbone. Check to make sure nothing binds the cable when turning bars lock to lock. I have installed the longer cable and will safety wired the cable into the throttle housing and carb. No problems the past few rides.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
I had this happen once on my 250exc. I went back to the truck and removed the tank/seat in order to check the cable routing first. I found that the cable was routed between the radiator overflow tubing and the frame. I pulled off the overflow hose and rerouted the throttle cable around it. The throttle has not stuck since. A friend of mine had a 300 that had a cronic problem with the throttle sticking. He got the longer cable and routed it between the triple clamps and in front of the bars and has had no more stuck throttle.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Same thing happened on my new 250, here is the deal... the stock cable is too short and routed on the wrong side of the bars. Buy a motion pro cable for a newer CR 250 and route it in front of the bars. (behind the number plate) Once I did this I never had a stuck throttle again! (this was after taking out my riding buddy in the woods,a stuck throttle in the woods while in 3rd gear on a 250 is no joke!!!)

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
OK, here's the latest (I've been having a sticking problem too for 4 months):

1) Just talked to our local AA KTM rider Lynn Bailey. He has the throttle turned with the pulley towards him, the cable "behind the crossbar", and running down on the clutch lever side of the tank to the carb. Stock KTM cable. Never did like the setup but lived with it. Said it came this way from the dealer.

2) Talked to Motion Pro and the Honda dealer - the CR cable is 4 inches longer than the KTM cable.

3) my stock cable is routed WAY WRONG - it runs between the forks like you guys with the CR cable are doing but past the tank down the RIGHT SIDE of the frame... :eek:

4) The AA rider confirmed that the zip tieing of the rubber bootie on the top of the carb can cause a condition where the bootie slips up and effectively lengthens the outter cable. Safety wiring it in place (housing to brass under the bootie) is a good idea to keep the cable housing bottomed out no matter what.

I'm off to the Honda dealer to get the CR cable and will play around with it and the stocker.... The AA rider has a local friend who has been battling this problem on a 380 and has gotten really banged up.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
ok guys i feel like a idiot, i found out why the throttle keeps sticking. i had added a pair or cycra pro bends and didn't trim off enough of the throttle tube and it was sticking. thanks all for the advice.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom