gooleo

Nov 5, 2002
my '02 200 suspension and forks are stock. i've been reading alot of threads but really can't make sense of the different options, both mechanical and product. i hear that it's not so good to be riding along like this, so i hope that someone can spoon feed me the low down on exactly what i should do with my front forks and rear suspension. would it also be advisable to get a steering damper? i talked to one guy and he told me that i would be better off putting on a mx fork and set up. not to sure about that. i'm 5'10" 175 lbs. thanks for your help.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
While a modern pair of USD forks would be nice, not sure if you really want to spend that kind of money on the KDX. While still a great bike, there are other chassis limitations that you just can't ignore compared to other bikes.

At the very least get the forks tuned to your weight and riding terrain/style. The shock as stock is pretty close given your weight. I sent my forks out to MX-Tech for stiffer springs and a re-valve and have been happy with the results. Get some better tires too. Michilin S-12s are great here in Michigan.

Try different clicker settings on the shock to dial it in better. I've found that I needed to go quite a bit harsher (screw in) on the rebound (bottom adjustment) for the bike to handle better in the whoops. FWIW, I'm 5'9" and 185lbs.

I recently put on a steering damper (WER). I only have about 85 miles experience with it, and am still getting used to it. The front end definitely feels "tighter", more solid, and tracks better. Initially though I wish the damping adjustment was within reach while riding. I probably had it on too tight a setting. Although it was good for 3/4/5 gear sand/whoops, suddenly I was in 1/2/3 really tight switch backs, and could feel that it was more effort to flick the handlebars back and forth. A little disconcerning when trying to fly through the tight stuff! At the next stop I reduced the damping a little, but would have really of like to been able to do it whenever necessary without stopping.

Do some searching here on this site. You will learn a year's worth of experience in only a few days!

Top Bottom