W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
I'm wondering if anyone else has, or had the same problem I'm having with the front brake on my new ride. The problem is the free play on the front brake lever is way to much, I have adjusted the adjustment screw as far as it will go and it still has way to much play. When riding I usually brake with one finger, only now the lever hits my other knuckles before it starts to brake. I have bled the brake to see if it would help and it doesn't. My 99 had a sweet front brake, why is this one so bad? It brakes just fine just way to much free play. I thought about getting a longer adjustment screw. Any suggestions?

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
there are several things you can do.  I initially hung the caliper upside down, and have installed speedbleeders to flush the lines every couple months.

though, I've never had anything but great brakes on my 02 300mxc..

go to www.ktmtalk.com and search, you'll find lots of info...

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I had this very problem on a 2000 250 EXC and solved it by using a bit of a Mickey Mouse approach, therefore the standard YMMV caveats apply. The method:

For discussion purposes consider the plastic knob and the metal threaded shank of the front brake adjuster. It appeared on my bike that the shank was too short or had been pressed into the knob too far, as I couldn't get enough adjustment for my two fingered braking without running out of thread. What I did (again kids, this is not recommended reading under the "approved methods and procedures for general motorcycle maintenance" banner) was just keep turning the knob until the pressed in shank started withdrawing from the knob to the point that adjustment was sufficient. This was possible because a good part of the shank originally inserted into the knob was still threaded.

Well it worked for me anyway FWIW! Special conditions may apply...

Last edited:

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Ok, that was an easy fix, I just kept turning in the adjuster with a pair of pliers until it got where I wanted it. They should have made that screw longer so you can adjust without having to use pliers and break off the head on the last turn of your adjustment. I'll try to get a longer adjuster screw next time but this should work just fine, as long as I don't need to adjust it anymore. Thanks!

Top Bottom