Jan 10, 2001
This bike rocks!!!! And I've only ridden for about 10 minutes in the driveway!! Anyway, hears the deal, I got it from Sportcycle KTM in Maryville, Tennessee, the oldest KTM dealer in the south. The bike just came on the truck yesterday. Since I'm 16 and in school, I sent my dad after it, he said the people there were great. Said they finished putting the bike together right in front of him. Greased up everything, re-oiled the filter, torqued all the bolts on the bike even the spokes, set the handlbar position, and just did a fantastic job. I feel very confident about this bike being put together. The guy was very knowledgeble and knew basically everything about the bike like you would want a dealer to be, which is not the case in most other dealers I've been to. I could sit here and talk all night about this bike, and I've ridden for about 10 mins! Just putting around the driveway this thing feels more powerful then the ol KDX, suspension seems good, and I just love how you can slide all around on this thing and get into the best position, I feel I can get through the tight, nasty steep trails better then my KDX ever could, sorry Katie(my KDX) I still love it and won't get rid of it, but the pumpkin is the king of my basement! My dad stopped at a gas station, and had 3 people come up and wanted to buy it. "Man thats a nice bike" and "Where did you get that, I've looked all over for one?!"
I thought wow, I finally got a bike with a great thick manual, but since I can't speack deutsch, italiano, francais, or espanol, theres only about 43 pages out of about 200 :) I tell you what though, it is a great manual, and theres a lot more of great little KTM acces. that came with this bike, even a high quality KTM pen! This pumpkin takes a lot of hard work to afford it, but I really believe its gonna be worth every minute of it. I could keep on talking about this thing, but I got to wake up and go to school, then to work :silly: But I've got all Sat. to break her in. The dealer also said that the factory cranks up every KTM motor and lets it run for 45 mins to make sure everything is working right and to lessen the break in time. I thank all of you people on DRN who have given me the knowledge I need to acquire such a wonderful machine.

SandRooster220, got to change my name

Last edited:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Congrat's Sandy! I think you'll find you've made a great choice. We'll never get rid of our KDX either but I sure don't want to race it. BTW, I think you'll find the manuals lacking once you try and tackle, say, setting your valve clearence for the first time. They're good but they assume a certain level of knowledge where the japanese manuals tend to pitch at a beginner level.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Keep an eye on the heim bearing housing where the ridge on the mudflap rubs against the housing. In no time, that ridge will cut/hacksaw a very nice groove clear through your bearing housing and then its BIG BUCKS for repair.

Erider makes a heim bearing housing protector or you can glue a piece of foam between the housing and the mudflap, or even take a grinder and grind the ridge off that rubs on the housing.

Some people even wrap the housing and lower part of the shock with a piece of rubber tubing from a tire tube.

Top Bottom