rich_braswell

Aug 8, 2006
i just went one step leaner on my main and my pilot jets and it seems to be worse on the bottom now. the needle was in the second from the top notch with a 360 main and the pilot was a 32.5. now the main is a 350 with the clip in the middle of the needle and the pilot is a 30. my top end is pretty fresh and i use good gas with the honda oil at 32:1. any ideas guys? should i lean up my gas or change something in the jets?

dimitri

Aug 23, 2004
The stock jetting on an 02 was a380 main,32.5 pilot,clip in the second position.I fought with the jetting on mine forever.i added an sst pipe,shorty silencer,v-force3 reeds.No matter what i tried i always went back to the factory jetting except for the clip in the leanest position, and amsoil 32:1. Dont get me wrong i have the occasional spooge but not that bad I dont foul plugs, and the bike runs like a raped ape.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
The best thing to do is dump the Mikuni and put a Keihin carb from a 2000 CR250 on your bike. There is a huge thread on this conversion somewhere on this site. The carb swap was one of the best things that I have done to my 01 CR250. Cost is around $200 from ServiceHonda and is pretty much a straight swapout.

rich_braswell

Aug 8, 2006
Thanks guys. Now I have a little better idea than just a shot in the dark. I also run the sst pipe, but where I tend to ride mostly on BLM ground I run the Pro Circuit sparky and so far I've had pretty good luck with this setup. If I do go to the Keihin carb what is the " pretty much " part about? What should I look for besides rust and carbon on the magneto?

bll

Aug 24, 2006
i am in the same boat. my bike does seem to be running well after leaning out the pilot one step and leaning out the needle one click. the main is stock. the first thing i did was lean out the main and leave the pilot and needle, it ran poorly.
i have heard that the JD kit is a good option as the JD needle is more like a keihin needle. don't know if that is true or not

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
"pretty much" means that the keihin is slightly larger in overall dimensions and the area is a little more cramped with the keihin. you have a little less working space in there. the cable, boots, etc. match up perfect.

rich_braswell

Aug 8, 2006
Well guys I really apreciate all of your input and I hope to have this thing running better soon. Thanks again and ride safe or ride it like you stole it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom