02' CR 250 Swingarm bearing removal

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys I have removed the seals etc and have let the swingarm bearing soak in wd40 then tried to press it out with a socket and c- clamp with no success. I then tried to hammer it out with a long extension on the socket, and it still wont budge. Any other tips or ways to get the bearing out? I am pressing it from the inside of the swingarm out. I was thinking last resort have a machine shop press it out, but I'd hate to have to pay $70 labor or anything crazy.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i dont have experience with that particular model, but some models have a circlip that holds the bearing in place, like a piston circlip.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I looks like there might be a circlip on the inside, I cant seem to get it out though. This is all that's holding me back from installing my motor lol go figure.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Shouldn't be a circlip on that swingarm..

You'll need heat and the right setup of a press..

I actually use a length of threaded rod, a couple of sockets and nuts that are used to join the threaded rods.. All found at the local big box hardware store (orange signs).

Get the right amount of heat and penetrating oil in there and it will come out.

Coat the new ones with antiseize compound when you install and they'll be a damn sight easier to remove next time.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
the new ones should go in a lot easier than they old ones came out, provided you clean up the swingarm and lube everything well.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys I had a shop press them in, and the problem is on the inside of the swingarm where the spacer and seal goes, the spacer seems bigger then where it is supposed to fit in. I don't understand since it came out of there, but I can't get it to go back in. Here's some pics of what I mean, the only thing i was thinking was maybe it had to be put in before the new bearing was pressed in?

14bkc91.jpg

zvputv.jpg

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
No I got a boss bearing kit for the swingarm and it didn't come with the inside spacers, I am waiting on my pivot works linkage kit as of now... I figured the spacer would go on the inside, then the seal on top but it just wont fit. Here are the spacers and seals that came for each end of the swingarm forks. I was thinking on the outside for it went Spacer > bearing spacer> spacer> then seal. For the inside they didn't give me a spacer except the one that came out and wont fit, and a seal. :think:

2607j8w.jpg

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Must have gotten the wrong kit somehow. I've never had a problem with Pivot Works.. I'd contact Boss and see what they say.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well the thing I don't get is the spacer came out, it must go in right? Im guessing without the spacer between the bearing and seal it would put more stress on the bearing itself? Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The setups I have seen, you have a thrust washer, thrust bearing, thrust washer, then the seal with the spacer inside the seal.

I have no idea what your's looked like when it came apart, so I really don't understand why you have what you have now.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
They have this new invention called a service manual that has proven to be remarkably useful in situations like this.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:
They have this new invention called a service manual that has proven to be remarkably useful in situations like this.

Huh.. now that you mention it, that would be a useful tool..

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well everythings back together, but I'm having one heck of a time getting the swingarm back into the frame with the collars staying in the seals. I have the shock and linkage out for more room right now, but my friend said to put the motor in first and it will help align the swingarm better? Seems like it won't fit with the collars installed in the seals, and it's weird one of the sleeves that fits inside the swingarm bearing is longer then the other, but the swing arm is the same width on each spar? Linkage and bearings suck!

Top Bottom