ryancfields

Oct 3, 2006
New to the forum and recenely bought a CR250.

The question is on the forks the left one leaks. How do I go about replacing the seal? Its not a huge leak but after the 2nd ride when it was cold out it started to leak a little on the wheel. Now its dripping in the garage.

I've done plenty of car work, but don't want to tear into this until I know exactally what to and not to do.

Anyone else run into similar problems?

Thanks!

- Ryan

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
get a honda manual. it will walk you right through it. not too hard but the manual is an invaluable investment.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
do a search about fork seals. you can get some pearls of wisdom on how to try and fix them before they leak too much. it sounds like you have already lost a bunch of fluid so you might as well change it and the seals so that you know every thing is in good working order.

ryancfields

Oct 3, 2006
I saw that on how to fix them, I might give that a shot. Its leaks enough that over a few days it'll leave some on the ground. If not i'll change them out.
- Ryan

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Not to steal the thread, but has anybody attempted to completely "re-do" the forks? If so, how involved and difficult is it? How much would I be spending on the spectialty tools needed? Any info would help, thanks!

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
you need a special wrench for the cap and a thingamajigger to seat the fork seals. the wrench you can get for 20 and the thingamajigger you can get for 50. i have heard of people using makeshift thingamajiggers so do a little research here and you can probably find some info. oh- you also need a pretty accurate fluid measuring device.

it's not really that hard to do if you are mechanically saavy.

none of that includes the prices of the seals, wipers, or fluid (all that is probably 30 or 40).

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
the above post is for showa forks with the seperate inner cartridge. don't know what your zook has

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Make sure you do both fork seals and change out the fluid in both legs. The other leg might not need a new seal but it will certainly be due for a fluid change.

ryancfields

Oct 3, 2006
Oh I didn't know it required a tool :-( I'll try the film strip for now and then have to invest in some tools later to fix it if it keeps leaking.

- Ryan

Top Bottom