Sep 15, 2004
i was riding my 250 today and i noticed when i was in first and second gear it seemed to sputter right before it was time to shift i mean when it got to higher rpms.in 3rd gear and higher it ran real real strong no problems.I have a jd jetting kit installed on it.pro circuit pipe and silencer and a vforce 3 reed cage.I was thinking it may be a little rich on the main jet.but i am not sure.or maybe a plug?should i try to change the main jet or raise the clip on the jet needle??it runs rel strong on the bottom so i think the pilot jet is good.like i said it only does it at 1st and 2nd gears with wide open throttle.Thanks

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
yankeefan4life72 said:
i have heard people say to can the mikuni carb and switch to a kehin.what year of kehin will work and off of what bike?

Check THIS out. Most who have switched swear by the PWK. I ordered mine last week. :ride:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
make the switch to the keihin. you won't be sorry. just order one for a 2000 cr250. it fits right in, no problem and you can use your current throttle cable.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
i dont doubt for a minute that the kehin is the better carb but the bike should run properly with the mikuni if its jetted right. remember that if you cant jet then trying to switch to another brand carb will be hit and miss also. you say that your problem only occurs in first and second gear with full throttle. well in lower gears there is less load on a motor but it can rev out so much quicker than the higher gears so you are definitly using the main jet circuit in the carb, not the needle or its position. try leaning the main jet one size at a time and see if the problem lessens. do a plug check (see jetting links for this) to help determine jet size also. from memory the stock main is a 380, i have a 390 in mine and it runs great but jetting depends greatly on the condtions the bike is ridden in. so what will be right for your bike will take some trial and error to find, good luck.

Sep 15, 2004
did some looking and found a pwk 38mm airstrker carb.i use to have a kdx 200 and bought an airstrker for that it made a world of difference on the kdx.the airstryker has a divider in the venturi right?like the power now that you see??my airstrker on my kdx had a divider but i got it from rb designs so i dont know if that was something special that ron does.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I got mine today. This one is from a stock CR250 and there's no divider.

Top Bottom