mikep79

Jul 19, 2001
My 02 Honda CR250 has not been ridden for almost 4 months (no time to ride). I went to start it the other day and it was frozen. It was very difficult to get the kick start to move, it was like the piston was stuck in the engine. Eventually I got it to start. Ran it around idle speed for awhile. Next day went to go riding and it would not start. It seemed to have very little compression and had little resistance when kicking over. So I took the top end off and the rings are very tight around the piston. I can't move them.

What happend and how do I fix this. Is my cylinder destroyed?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Nope your cylinder is not destroyed. Hopefully. This is weird cause my riding mate had the same exact problem on his 02 cr250. He did have a single ring vertex piston in it. The bike was hard to start and when it did get running, it ran like crap. I mean like bad. The thing was it very easy to kick over and no compression. When we took off the jug, we noticed that the ring actually seized in the groove. I inspected the cylinder it seemed fine with no gouges or burrs, we cleaned it up put in a new piston and the bike is running fine now. I know you live in arizona where it is dry but try to remember if you washed your bike before you put it away. You might of sucked some moisture in the cylinder, which caused the rings to corrode and seize. My recomendation is to buy an oem/wiseco double ring piston, stick that baby on and live happily ever after. Also check your crank while you have it off. Make sure no up and down movement.

Erik

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Do the sides of the piston show signs of scuffing (4-corners)? It may have been a cold seizure from improper warm-up that caused the ring damage.

mikep79

Jul 19, 2001
Thanks for the info everyone. It appears the rings did sieze in the grooves. i ordered new piston rings etc. That should take care of it.

Top Bottom