dirtroost

Jun 21, 2002
I just found a great deal on a 125sx from a out of state dealer the bike is still in the crate I'am 40+ rider coming off a suzuki DR 350.I want a bike I can jump on without rattling my bones and to be able to flick around much easier than the heavy DR 350,buy the I'am 5'7 160lbs.The 125 sounds like a strong bike with low flickable weight but seems to have suspension problems noteably the harsh forks, a high seating position,slow steering and abrupt power hit are these problems really all that bad and if they are what would it take to make the bike more manageable.Or would a exc 250 a better choice, although the it would have more weight and the jumping would be compromisedas I ride mostly now on tracks for lack of trails and woods riding in my area.Thanks for any help.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'd think about an MXC 200 if you're stuck on KTM. I have the EXC and it's the perfect compromise of low end power with light weight. I love it. But if you do more mx, the MXC has no headlight, close ratio gearbox and lighter flywheel. You'll love the engine however.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have the '00 125sx and love the bike. Yes, the suspension is a bit harsh in stock form, but it shouldn't scare you. Many tell you harsh, when what they mean is "not as plush as a revalved CR" :)

If you are riding on the mx track, then the 125sx is a great choice for the reasons you've stated. The hit is a good thing. Nothing like knowing it's there when you need it. Low end is for rollers anywho.

On the steering, I do not find it slow at all. I find the sx turns real fine once you have the forks at the height that suits you. Some will tell you they turn slow when what they really mean is "it doesn't feel like a yz or an rm" :)

I'm also 5'7 and had to shave my seat before I liked the feel. You can also lower the sub-frame a bit too, although I never did. If you look at the specs on all similar sized bikes you will find there isn't a knats butt difference in most of them, the thing that makes the KTM's feel tall is the firm foam.

The bike is totally manageable and just plain FUN TO RIDE! Go get it and hurry! :thumb:

Disclaimer: I would totally steer clear of the 125sx if I were just wanting a bike to play around the back yard with. Also riding a 125sx(fast) takes some work, it is NOT a lazy mans bike as it likes to go fast and be ridden hard.

dirtroost

Jun 21, 2002
Thanks guys for your response,I thought about getting a 200 mxc but the price 4298.00+ shipping for a crated 2002 125sx is steering me towards that bike,I have read before that possibly changing the main needle to a straight taper will help smooth out the power a little bit and or getting a shot silencer or pipe will help with with getting more low end responce thus making the bike a little easier to ride, also how do go about shaving the seat foam down .Again thanks for your replies as this is my first KTM. Jaybird you had me feeling pretty good until I read your disclaimer as I'am building a track on the back of my property.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hold on man! I don't want to discourage you at all. My backyard comment meant that it is not a bike to putt-putt around on. If you are building a track, it will be a fine ride for you.

I know folks usually look to help the low end of these bikes out, but I found that the high end of the powerband is the best part of the bike. I added a PC 304 stainless which I feel helped the top end out a bit..the bottom of an MX bike is for pit riding! :)

The seat is any easy task. First thing you gotta remember is that you will need to replace your cover, so have staple gun handy.
Now, when you have the foam in hand, draw a line along the sides that would be the outline of taking about 1.5-2 inches off the top. THis is just a guide as you need to be careful not to cut through. Now, there are many methods and I believe the best one is to have an upholsterer use a hot knife on it...BUT I use an ordinary hacksaw. Just start cutting out following your lines and check often to make sure you aren't cutting thorugh to the bottom. (don't try to curve your cut from side to side) Now when you do find that you have cut through (bet you do too) just stop and reposition the blade and start again.
Once you get the banana cut out, you will have hard edges on both sides, just take a small grinder...or a sanding block for that matter, and shape it up nicely and put the cover back on.
Two things...don't shave this on the wifes kitchen table, foam makes beaucoup mess! And this method will make the seat look like a mix between a deep saddle and a free-ride seat, so if you are picky about looks....well, just realise that it won't look the same and the transition from seat to tank will not be as smooth as before.

Try not to take what mags or folks who don't have this bike say to heart. They are just jealous! :)

btw...that seems like a decent price.

Last edited:

dirtroost

Jun 21, 2002
Thanks again Jaybird, this forum is a godsend for anyone owning a KTM I always wanted a euro bike since I was a teenager back then it was a husky 125 the same style of bike ridden by Steve McQeen and Malcom Smith.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Amazing thing about Malcom, I think he rode for nearly 30 years without getting seriously injured.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird
Amazing thing about Malcom, I think he rode for nearly 30 years without getting seriously injured.

True, and most of those years on bikes that had 4 to 5 inches of travel.

dirtroost ... IMHO you will never look back after getting your ktoom.

BTW, everytime I look at my seat, I think about cutting it down ...
Maybe after I get a few more scratches ... on the bike :scream:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....I know what you mean, Tony. Kinda makes a man cringe to cut into a new seat. I cut mine down first week I had it. Never look back! :)

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Get the KTM 125. After riding the DR, you will be in heaven. You won't miss the bottom end at all because there is enough there get you into the mid-high. As far as the suspension goes, get 10 hrs riding time on it and then ship it off to a good KTM shop and you will be stoked. You'll be able to get the suspension done for a lot less than it would cost to get anybody elses 125 to have the power of the KTM. Heck, when reading some of the early tests of 03 125s theres stuff in them like "faster than the '02s (except KTM)" Its an awesome bike!!!

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
I have an 02 KTM 125 SX. I ride trails, MX and play ride on the thing. It works great. It's very fast and has lots of midrange for a 125.

The suspension is harsh in my opinion. My revalve (front and rear) will be done this week. Cost me $300. But, the bike comes ready to ride out of the crate. No bars to add, quality chain and sprocket, etc.

BTW: I think you should be able to do better than $4200+shipping. I paid $4600 OTD for my 02 in Septermber of 01 before they even hit the floor. The 02 is now "last years'" model.

dirtroost

Jun 21, 2002
Thanks for all the replies,I believe now I'am making the right choice with the 125sx with the quality componets and a stong engine,though the suspension job will probably in my near future.The price of 4200.00+ shipping was the best I could find on the net and considering the 03 in my area would cost around 5300.00 otd that's a pretty substantial savings plus the 02's are starting to get a little more scarce.Thanks guys!

yota

Oct 9, 2001
Thats a great price. I turned my 02 125sx into a 200 but that was my intention all along. I did ride it as a 125 about 5 times and it was a blast. You WILL get the suspension revalved btw. The motor is unreal strong for a 125 but you still will have to shift a lot compared to your old 4t. Do it.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Regarding cutting down the seat foam. I used the same stock seat cover, we just trimmed off the excess. Just be careful taking out the staples. A friend of mine used my electric knife on it and then I smoothed it to look "factory" with a belt sander. I have about 3/4 inch of foam left and the seat never bothers me - no monkey butt at all. I got an inch and a half of seat height off the bike which I need at barely 5'4" tall. :scream:

yota

Oct 9, 2001
vwwww, Its pretty complicated and I was only able to afford it cause I had a 200 already to scavenge parts from for the 02 125. A good friend did the bottom end work while I assisted. We had to put the 200 crank in the 125 cases. I bought a new 02 200 cylinder and piston set and used the old 200 head. Had to put the 200 powervalve parts in the new cylinder. Used the v-force reed block from the 200, along with the ignition (vortex), pipe and silencer (fmf). Used the larger 125 carb with 185 main, ddk needle, 42 pilot, #6 slide with 1mm ground off bottom (Florida sea level). Had Jeremy at MX Tech revalve the suspension for off road. Run 14/42 sprockets for offroad (Florida flat ground mostly). Got a used pair of Factory R&D 18mm offset clamps from Kesch on the Woodsracer site and removed 6mm from the subframe. Run S12 front and M26 rear for Florida sugar sand. Enduro Engineering soft sx seat foam replaces the stock brick. Its a lot of fun.

Top Bottom