fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
Looking for any and all suggestions on how to set my KX up for harescrambles.

I'm also trying to buy a flywheel wieght, any suggestions on size?

kx117

Mar 6, 2002
I HAVE A 12OZ. ON MY 97 AND IT RIDES LIKE A BIG FOUR STROKE
YOU GET ALOT OF TRACTION IN THE MUD. YOU LOOSE THE HARD HIT ON THE BIKE BUT STILL HAVE GOOD MID TO HIGH . I USE IT WITH POWER REEDS AND A GNARLEY PIPE. ALSO IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO STALL ,
EVEN IN THOSE TIMES WHEN YOU GET STUCK GOING SLOW UP A HILL.

Peachy

Jun 23, 2003
Make sure you have lots of grip. Some handle bar leafs/barkbusters help with the branches etc...The 12Oz flywheel weight sounds right and really needed in the woods. I run 13/48 sprockets and am able to chug up hills without comprimising too much top end. FMF Gnarly pipe also does the trick...

Good luck!

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
This is graet. Let me ask you your opinion on the flywheel wieght, Stealhy offers a 7oz, 9, 11, and 13oz. I understand the hole principle of the wieght but would like to ask both your opinions as far as riding with added wieght, if you would do it again, would you buy the 12oz, or one of the others?

The gearing I think I'll go with is a 13/51, but I'll try the wieght out first and then see what I'll do then, stock 02 is 13/49.

What about jetting for this wieght. Presently I have upped the pilot one size and went with the team green suggested needle, stock main. I think stock pilot and needle with a smaller main is what I'll have to do for the woods, what do you think?

As far as the pipe, I'm quite sure the fatty or the narly I'll go with but not sure yet.

Other than rejetting I have fat bars on it, only mods thus far I could handle on the mx track.

Sorry so many questions. I did this before on a quad, well experience has shown me aftermarket can get costly.

tomhat1

Nov 15, 2001
i have an 02 kx 250 with the fatty pipe and stock silencer. i changed the gearing to a 12 tooth on front to try and lower my first gear. i am thinking about raising the rear a tooth or two also. i will sacrifice top speed but i do some balancing acts on tight trails and need a low first gear. i put steahly's 9oz. flywheel on and wish i had gone bigger. maybe a lot bigger because i still have to do a lot of clutch work in tight stuff. i haven't changed the jetting because it runs pretty good and i'm lazy. i want to try the Q silencer but it's pretty pricey. i ride some motocross and let a better rider try my setup. he liked the setup for motocross too. the flywheel goes on pretty easy. depending on how you will ride, you might consider the biggest one. they are not cheap and i don't know if you could drill some holes in it to lighten it up. hope this helps.

TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
I have a 95KX250 with a 13oz. steahly on mine combined with a gnarly and stock silencer. I'am very happy with the way the bike hooks up even with a used up rear tire and it helps with dead engine starts if you do harescrambles. I would agree it is a must for the woods. My kx would get loose in the rear pretty easily and the flywheel makes a big difference especially on real muddy hills and on a kawi they come on and off real easy. As far as the pipes go the gnarley is more aimed from roll-on throttle through the mid and after that it's all over and the fatty seems to put out more across the entire powerband. If you like a little motocross and woods riding then the fatty would be the best choice. Hope this helps..........

Top Bottom