bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
I've recently picked up a KX85 for my son, and the jetting is noticably off. There's consideralbe sploge and it smokes real good in the mid to top range. My problem is I don't know quite how to jet this little bike. I've always jetted my 250's by feel. I can tell by the response at different throttle positions if it's fat or lean for the most part. With the 85, it won't haul my fat arse around well enough for me to tell what the performance is, and with my son just learning to ride the bike, he doesn't know how to tell if the performance is better or not.

We'll be running the bike between 0 and 3000 ft, with the local winter temps between 40-65 deg F. Everything on the bike currently is stock, I assume the jetting is stock also, but I haven't checked.

Any assistance in personal set ups, or tips on how to jet with out riding would be appreciated.

deano...

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
I'm currently re-jetting my wife's '03 KX100. I've got some single taper needles ordered, which not only make it easier to jet, but generally will give a smoother, more "roll-on" type of power, and a cleaner, more responsive bottom end.
Currently, we are using a 45 pilot, the stock needle with the clip in the top position, and a 135 main jet. That is with Boysen 2-stage reeds, which tend to richen things up a little. During the winter months, we ride from 2800' to 4,000', with temps from upper 30's, to 50 degrees.
Hope this helps.

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Is the stock jetting the same on the 85 and 100? I would think that the additional displacement would require different jetting.

I've never thought about a single taper needle, where did you order it from?

Dean

JRCII

Aug 21, 2002
My nephews 04 KX 85 is doing the same thing, probably won't work on it till
spring though. An old friend works for Kawasaki Team Green in Georgia so this winter I will see if he can give me some tips on jetting.
Here is a link to the Kawasaki Canada Teem Green page with a little info.
http://www.teamgreennews.ca/techside.html

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
The jetting on the KX85 and the KX100 is very similiar. The needle is slightly richer on the 85, but it also is in the #3 position, which is a leaner position then the #4 position of the KX100 needle. The 85 has a main jet that is one step richer then the 100. I ordered the single taper needles from Sudco. You will need to go up 2-3 sizes on the main jet when going from a multiple taper needle, to a single taper needle.
www.sudco.com

'03 KX 85 factory jetting:

Slide #3.5
A/S 1-3/8 turn
pilot #45
needle NAPE position 3

main 140

'03 KX100 factory jetting:

Slide #3.5
A/S 1-3/8 turn
pilot #45
needle NAPF position 4