052zy40

May 14, 2006
My sons 02 yz125 is giving me fits. About 4 hrs ago, inner clutch hub,all frictions and aluminum plated replaced, along with all washers and bearings. We did not replaced the outer basket, it was very slightly notched, so I filed it down to smooth or did we replace the pressure plate we did replace the springs.
Here lies the problem before and after. Broken fiber clutch plates,only 2 and I think it is the same ones as before.
Should I replace the basket? My guess is it is the problem. or should I replace both basket and pressure plate.
Its just annoying having to tear it down after every couple hrs to replace clutch plates and a little dangerous for my son.
It stuck in 2nd gear this time just as he was going for 3rd to clear a big double, a piece of clutch plate wedged in the shifter mechaNISM. He barely made it but it could have been ugly.
ANYONE,out there have similar problem? any ideas? I dont want to stick a million dollers in the bike but I do want to fix it right.

052zy40

May 14, 2006
OEM YAMAHA PARTS, EXACTLY AS IN THE SERVICE MANUAL. DONE THIS MANY times on lots of different bikes I have owned, never had a problem with a clutch basket as clean as this one.
I have been told this is caused by the clutch basket expanding over time and not always wear on the grooves. We will see, putting a new pressure plate and basket on as soon as they arrive.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom