ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I have the chance to buy an 02 YZ250 that a guy has for sale pretty close to me. Bike looks like its in great condition w/ new YOT graphics and PC pipe/silencer.

Dont know if its ever been raced but I'll be sure to ask him. He's selling for 1800.00 wich is dam cheap so is there anythhing I should ask before buying it? What if its been raced? Would that make it not worth it?

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Actually, racers tend to maint their bikes much better than the average rider... $1800 is a steal, and I'd jump on it providing the bike is in good condition...

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
YamaB said:
Actually, racers tend to maint their bikes much better than the average rider... $1800 is a steal, and I'd jump on it providing the bike is in good condition...

Sweet... I just hope he still has it at the end of next week because I wont have the money until then! :(

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I wouldn't worry about him being a racer, look at the bike. Like the other guy said, racers usually take better care of their bikes than the weekend warriors and the condition will show that. Ask him his maint routine and then check it. Pull the seat off and look at the air filter, check the compression, how do the chain and sprockets look, tires good tread left, and little things that go wrong with dirtbikes. Has he fixed them or let them slide.

$1,800 is a steal until you start having to replace top ends, tires, chains/sprockets, etc etc.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
YamaB said:

+1

Thats a GREAT deal. Buy it! . . . after checking on a few things.

Think about racing differently . . .

If you race a bike, you are MORE likely to maintain it. You don't want to have something break in a whoop section. I used to think racing a bike was bad for it, also. . .

One concern for a raced bike is that the cylinder could be worn beyond spec. In that case, you would need to have it plated or bored and plated. However, I don't think this is a likely scenario for a 2002 250, unless it's been raced A LOT.

The main thing to check is the things you can't see:

When was the piston/ring replaced?

How is the clutch working - when were the basket/plates replaced?

Check the wheel bearings for side to side play.

Check the bottom of the frame for any bent/crushed spots.

If you can, make sure the owner has not started the bike before you get there. Then you can see how it's going to start for you on the first kick of the day.

If you can, get the owner to remove the seat so you can have a look at the air filter. If it's clean, the owner probably took very good care of the bike - that, or he is serious about selling it.

Chain and sprockets - condition?

Tire condition?

Brake pad and rotor condition?

Hope it works out well for you!

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
robwbright said:
+1

Thats a GREAT deal. Buy it! . . . after checking on a few things.

Think about racing differently . . .

If you race a bike, you are MORE likely to maintain it. You don't want to have something break in a whoop section. I used to think racing a bike was bad for it, also. . .

One concern for a raced bike is that the cylinder could be worn beyond spec. In that case, you would need to have it plated or bored and plated. However, I don't think this is a likely scenario for a 2002 250, unless it's been raced A LOT.

The main thing to check is the things you can't see:

When was the piston/ring replaced?

How is the clutch working - when were the basket/plates replaced?

Check the wheel bearings for side to side play.

Check the bottom of the frame for any bent/crushed spots.

If you can, make sure the owner has not started the bike before you get there. Then you can see how it's going to start for you on the first kick of the day.

If you can, get the owner to remove the seat so you can have a look at the air filter. If it's clean, the owner probably took very good care of the bike - that, or he is serious about selling it.

Chain and sprockets - condition?

Tire condition?

Brake pad and rotor condition?

Hope it works out well for you!

I think I'm gonna print this list out and give him a call! If everything sounds good I might even offer him 2K if he'll hold it for 2 weeks and have the cash in hand!

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Well crap! Just called the dude and he already sold it... Figures, i didnt think it would last long at that price anyway! Well i still have 2 weeks to find another prospective bike! ;)

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Well crap! Just called the dude and he already sold it... Figures, i didnt think it would last long at that price anyway! Well i still have 2 weeks to find another prospective bike! ;)

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006

Top Bottom